Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a New/old panasonic double did, touchscreen gps nav, dvd head unit installed "professionally" and well i could not be more dissappointed. I love the radio but everytime i turn it on it makes a popping sounds. I went back to the audio shop and they told me i have to replace the stock amp... i think they are just trying to hook me for a new 250 dollar amp, ive heard of capacitors you can hook to the amps that will collect the extra charge that is being sent by the amp to the speakers. can any body confirm, or if you have a different methods and previous experiences please help me!!!`

·
Registered
680 Posts
The Factory radio's put out 5v, the new one puts out 12v. When you move the ignition to Acc. there will be a pop. A voltage regulator that drops the voltage from 12-5v installed on the power out line from the radio will solve this problem. I had a Pioneer Avic 900bt installed in my Expy by the "Pro's", and they had no clue. I did the research and solved the problem, we both learned alot. Here are 3 links that might help. I posted almost the exact post as you on the fordtrucks forum. I am Bopper there also.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062599

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/audio-alarms/172283-door-speakers-popping.html

New expensive Head unit - New Subwoofer Pop - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

·
Registered
320 Posts
The pop is coming from the sub amps turning on called a hard turn-on. the reason for this is the aftermarket radios has 12volts on their turn on output wire (blue w/ wht) and the factory amps only needs 6volts or so if my memory is correct. There is a resistor circuit that can be wireed in on the turn on thats cuts the voltage down and almost all "pop" goes way... I forget the value resistors you use and you need 2 of them and a you ground the middle of the resistors where your attach them together.... I'll do some research and hopefully i can post a diagram...I hope this helps a little...:?:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks bopper thats exactly it.. and thanks everyone else your input is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
636 Posts
What's the name of the folks that installed it for you....obviously they're lying to you or don't know what the hell their talking about :nono:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they are called "audiocity" in la puente CA, and i would certainly not recommend them at all. as a matter of fact, my car need one of those security codes, and when they figured i didnt know it, they were already trying to sell me a new stereo.. despicable, I tell ya

·
Registered
237 Posts
I reputable shop would have known about this problem before even beginning the install, and know how to fix it with a resistor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts