Ford Mustang Forum banner

What car? (and why)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right now I have a 2007 V6 Mustang and I've been wanting to trade it/ sell it. I would be able to get anywhere from 6000-7000 selling it to a private buyer so with me wanting to get another mustang I've been saving up in the mean time. Plan is to spend anywhere between 8k-12k on a new mustang.
So my question is to you...
Should I look for an 05-09 GT, 2003-2004 Mach 1, or a Foxbody?
I've heard that bone stock it should be GT>Mach 1> Foxbody but the Mach 1 is insanely easy to make power on since its a 4 valve and its DOHC, Similarily, foxbodies are just as easy to make power on.
Not to familiar with the foxbodies, but what would you guys take? Looking for a car under 100k miles and speaking of reliability, duarability, modability, and money involved to actually making it a little fast. Ranting a bit too much, but just looking for opinions and thoughts.
Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
IMHO, I would wait.........Mustang sales (new) all falling through the floor (32% slump in September alone) causing 1 complete plant to go "dark" temporarily..... the other mfgs are in the same boat..... prices are & values are going to drop (or huge rebates happening) IMHO because the desert graveyards for new cars are filling up....production has to slow or stop or they have to crush/recycle the cars...or a combination of all 3...... as long as your car is in good shape or only require some $ to brig it up to "speed'....keep it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Of your choices, the Mach 1, but they are getting really hard to find in good condition.

05-10 would be easiest to find in good condition and likely where you'll find a car you're happy with.

Foxbodies, 87-93 are the good ones (IMO).

If you can, but it's not on your list, get a 11-14 GT. The motor in the 11+'s is just leaps and bounds better than the 05-10's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
id say foxbody.. in my opinion they are great cars and fun projects and i think they will just increase in value from here on out so a good investment,

·
Super Moderator
2,927 Posts
Of your choices, the Mach 1, but they are getting really hard to find in good condition.

05-10 would be easiest to find in good condition and likely where you'll find a car you're happy with.

Foxbodies, 87-93 are the good ones (IMO).

If you can, but it's not on your list, get a 11-14 GT. The motor in the 11+'s is just leaps and bounds better than the 05-10's.
+1 and exactly my thought on the 11-14GT Suggestion, but that is def out of his target price range.

id say foxbody.. in my opinion they are great cars and fun projects and i think they will just increase in value from here on out so a good investment,
Yeah I agree for clean ones maybe a good investment, but otherwise it is a toss up. Might be hard to find one under 100K miles that is clean though for a reasonable price I would think right? Disclaimer I know next to nothing about Foxbodys. I have never owned one...

----------------------------------------
OP

I voted 05-10 GT, but to be clear that is really a vote for 05-09 GT. The 10 GT's nobody really wants because a lot of parts only work for the 2010 and you will find that you can't use a lot of parts from previous or future years so that would be a huge drawback since you state you want to mod.

It was also a hard call to not vote Mach 1, but taking your criteria in mind I don't think you will find one under 100K miles, good condition, and all that for your target budget. Hence what led to my vote...

·
Registered
756 Posts
I voted 05-10 GT, but to be clear that is really a vote for 05-09 GT. The 10 GT's nobody really wants because a lot of parts only work for the 2010 and you will find that you can't use a lot of parts from previous or future years so that would be a huge drawback since you state you want to mod.
This is actually a really good point. 2010 is a one off year. 2010 is the first year of an updated body but the last year of the 4.6, and the 2010 version of it is also a little different to bump up HP for the last year before the Coyote motor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've read everywhere that if I'm going to get a fox body look for one unmolested. Everywhere i'm looking I can find a cheaper vortech charged 5.0 with 80k miles and yet an unmolested 5.0 with same miles with be several thousand more.

·
Super Moderator
2,927 Posts
I've read everywhere that if I'm going to get a fox body look for one unmolested. Everywhere i'm looking I can find a cheaper vortech charged 5.0 with 80k miles and yet an unmolested 5.0 with same miles with be several thousand more.
For the most part and in general modded cars lose some value over stock cars. This is especially true the older the car.

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
You don't want to daily drive a 25 year old car. You'll always have 25 year old problems to fix.
Plus, comfort and such compared to yours now. You'll have $3k ish invested in motor parts to make 300 rear wheel horse power in a fox. Then all you lack is everything else to make that 300 hp work (suspension, etc, etc,).
Trading an 07 for a '93, not a smart move.
Buying a fox for a toy is another story.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts