Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll, Quick question about cats! First off, I got stock cats with dual flowmasters. Well, I need to change out my cats and was thinking about putting on some SLP high flow cats or the Pypes high flow cats from AM. I couldn't find any sound clips on youtube just for out just out of curiosity sake... will it sound any different if I do the switcharoo? If so, What brand out of the two are better? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Why do you need new cats?

If they are not bad and you just want to change them, you could just remove the downstream cats, thats how my 01 is set up. As long as the sensors surround 1 set of cats, you don't need the ones after the monitor sensors.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply SStang, The reason for upgrading is because they are pretty old now and one of them is rusting out pretty bad and the other one... the shield thing was flapping causing my car to rattle while I'm on idle. I have the flapping one wired up as of now and was considering just replacing them both.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I use to have the pypes high flow cats on my car, and when they say high flow they mean it, I can see light through them even after over a years use, replaced mine because they were doused with gas from a nonfiring cylinder for a couple minutes and they went to crap, the more high flow the cats are the more rasp you will hear out the back, I changed to some that were a little more restrictive (only $90) they make the car sound better

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks dave for your input! Would you recommend the pypes brand? What was the other brand that you got?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Thanks dave for your input! Would you recommend the pypes brand? What was the other brand that you got?
I didn't really care for them because they are circular so they stuck down a decent amount compared to normal, the ones I got to replace them are mermount (may be spelled wrong) from autozone, they were $90 (with a 5 year warranty) but I had credits built up so it was only $70 :D

They are a little restrictive compared to the pypes but on just a bolt-on motor that's a good thing so it doesn't bog on launch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts