Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 coupe that has all the original chrome/trim on but door handles, visor,window cranks have some pitting in them and exterior chrome has same and some rust bleeding through on the bumbers. I have been researching what would need to be done to refinish them and it seems that the general feedback of what I read is that the replacement cost is much more economical then to refinsih them.
Although I would love to keep the car all original I am not looking for a show quality car. I want one to drive on occasion for the enjoyment of having it but want it to look sharp and run well.
Besides input on your thoughts on this or experiences any recommendations of where to purchase good aftermarket chrome would be greatly appreciated as well. I have found a few sites and have a couple catalogs but nothing like first hand adivce as to quality of the product.
Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The body shop I'm using recommended using Scott Drake parts but, apparently the rear deck lid chrome trim has some issues fitting well due to the provided clips being crappy. I was told that there is another supplier that sells the clips separately that fit better but, I do not recall who.

The chrome trim around the windshield and back light I am hoping they will polish up nice. I have been told by several people nothing fits as good as the originals and as long as those chrome pieces are not too dinged up they usually polish up nice.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
From what i seen on remade parts no matter who made them its hit or miss.I would rechrome everything on mine if i had to do it over.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Any tips on polishing them up if slighlty pitted?
Only that it can't be done.

Chrome is only about a molecule thick. If they are pitted then the chrome is gone, at least in the pitted spots, and no polishing can return the chrome. You may polish away the rust with some chrome polish but it will return. If you polish enough you will even polish away the Ni which is the layer underneath the chrome that looks silvery. (Chrome itself is clear with a slightly bluish color.) If you polish enough then you will be down to bare steel and that will rust almost instantly.

The only way to 'fix' pitted chrome is to re-chrome the part. Otherwise you learn to live with the pits.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Neat trick I learned from some of the guys at a car show I went to a couple summers ago was to go to the hardware store and get some steel wool rated at the 000 or 0000 level (I don't remember which and the bag's in my garage) that says "metal polish" on it, the rating will be below it. Use that to buff up the chrome you have.

I was in your exact same position on all my chrome stuff I took off my car to restore it and thought about sending it all off but the price was a small fortune. A guy suggested it to me, and after a little elbow grease the vast majority of it shined up to a mirror finish. It'll go from dirty to cloudy looking and then rub a little further and it'll be nice and shiny again. However, if it's original and has been buffed and buffed and buffed again before, it may not shine up because like Ivy66GT said, the top layer may be gone. And again, if there's pitting, there isn't anything you can do about it unless you re-chrome. I've got a little bit, but it isn't bad looking so it's one of those things way way way down on the bottom of my list of things to eventually change if it starts to bother me. I replaced the most used stuff like handles/locks/etc - they looked bad.

I'd start with the buffing route and if that doesn't work, make the call on re-chroming or getting new stuff.

One last thing - you mentioned you have rust bleed through on the bumpers - if you want to keep them they'll definitely need to be stripped, blasted/cleaned to get rid of the rust, and rechromed. When I looked it was ballpark $200 bucks to refinish, or $85 bucks for a new repro. The repro's fine with me, so it depends on if it's a concourse thing you want to do, or just get something nice. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Once its pitted your stuck chroming it again or replacing it.You can shine it up with mothers mag and alum polish or neverdull but the pits are like rust for chrome.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well $200 is not so bad for a bumper. I have found replacements for around half that price but would be nice to have original ones. Any recommendation's on a quality replacement for bumpers, window cranks,door handles etc? I would rather spend a fw more bucks then to get some poor repro. Thanks again for all the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts