Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New clutch chatters or shudders when releasing the pedal from a complete stop in 1st gear ? I just installed a new clutch, p.plate, pilot and release bearings, pivot ball, and trans. mount, along with having the flywheel resurfaced. It seemed to drive and shift smoothly as it should. It started chattering when I was about 375 miles into the suggested break in of 500 miles.

I have to admit, I did get on it one time after 365 miles of light driving, but not very hard really(on a scale of 1-10 on how hard I got on it, probably a 7.5). I was going in 3rd gear(saw a nice 5.0 pull beside while moving at 30 Mph), LOL, dropped it into 2nd and took off shifting up into 3rd, then midway through 4th gear before having to stop,and probably only running about 80% of full throttle at most and all shifting seemed SMOOTH. Do you think I screwed this new clutch up since it is now chattering? Any suggestions or things to easily check would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
no as long as the clutch was engaged and not slipping that shouldn't have messed it up. how aggressive of a clutch is it? or better, which clutch did you get?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luk Repset clutch kit

Luk Repset clutch kit off of Ebay. Out of work and it was cheap. Car is basically stock so I wasnt worried about buying performance or racing clutches as it is a daily driver anyways.

So I adjusted the clutch quadrant as Ford describes (pulling the pedal up or back) and it seems to have taken care of the chatter or shudder issue I have, but I am PRETTY SURE that this causes the release bearing to constantly be in contact with the clutch fingers and turning which I dont believe is right. ? . ? . ?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
the "release bearing" (throw out bearing) should be about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch away from the fingers. you can take off the dust shield and check it out yourself. if it's constantly in contact you will hear a squeaking/ almost whistling noise while idling with the car in neutral.

and im weary that the clutch you bought is the reason for the chatter, but if you said you fixed it, then all the power to you!

·
Registered
108 Posts
check out the teeth on the clutch. I installed one once and despite torqueing it properly after a few hundred miles it started chattering. When looking at it you could see the fingers were uneven, a few of them were hitting the throwout bearing. Short of taking it apart and replacing it the only option was to adjust clutch so the t.o. bearing was in constant contact with the fingers. No more chattering but it caused the pedal to vibrate, which got worse and worse until the t.o. bearing retainer broke off the transmission, then it all had to come apart and get replaced again anyway. Probably my own fault, originally dit it in the driveway on jackstands by myself. When I redid it I put it on a lift and had a helper and tranny jack, went much better and is now smooth as silk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tob

K I'm sorry but I have to make a correction to someone comment. The TOB is always in contact of the fingers. Right off the factory line ford made them to be a continually running bearing. If there's a gap between the TOB then when you fully depress the clutch pedal, the clutch will still be slightly in contact with your flywheel. Which is bad.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
It could be a number of things, the clutch itself may be subpar, or overly aggressive, fingerprints on the flywheel, flywheel not resurfaced or replaced when replacing the clutch, poor break-in... Unfortunately once they start to chatter they stay that way.

And like said above, you do not want the throwout bearing in constant contact with the pressure plate, you should have 1/8" gap when the pedal is released.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
I'm guessing "subpar clutch" as mentioned in the above post, and if I had to guess why it was subpar my kneejerk answer would be poor/weak/fatigued dampening springs in the center hub of the disk. Doesn't sound like you really did anything abusive to it.

And yeah, the chatter is likely here to stay.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
This sh!t is over 3 years old. The know it all above just decided to bring it from the grave to tell us how we are all wrong.

I tell you what bud....you tell that constant contact ******** to my spec throwout bearing that got trashed cause it was constantly riding the pressure plate and failed after about 5,000 miles. Was it cause I listened to someone like yourself and adjusted it that way? NO! My stock cable assembly failed and caused it. :smoke:

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
This sh!t is over 3 years old. The know it all above just decided to bring it from the grave to tell us how we are all wrong.
Dammit I feel fkn stupid now, I'm usually pretty good about noticing zombie threads. Complacency's a b!tch, man...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts