Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I am new and love my Mustang. It is a 1985 Mustang LX, T-Top, 5 Speed.
I rebuilt the motor and put in a new high performance "Clutch Masters" clutch and pressure plate. The clutch seems to slip a little on rapid takeoff and makes a high whinning noise. The repair manual says that the clutch is self adjusting so I have been a bit perplexed by the continuing slipping and sound which has been getting louder.
I lifted the car to see if there was a manual clutch adjustment at the end of the cable but found none. I took off the clutch dust cover and I looked inside the clutch area to make sure the throw out bearing was properly attached and to my surprise I saw that the lip of the front of the manual trans housing, where the shaft comes out, was broken and appears to be spinning around when the throw out bear makes contact!
Has anyone had this problem before and know what may have caused it to break? Do I have to replace the whole manual trans housing or can it be welded? The trans gears, bearings and synchs are in great shape. I think, but am not sure, that the trans housing is aluminum.(M5?)
Any help would be appreciated because I have not wanted to drive her for fear that I may cause more damage. Depressed because I can't drive my '85 :headscratch:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Welcome,I have read from other posts that you could have a warn clutch cable.My clutch catches late so I was told to get a adjustable kit with cable,quadrant,and firewall adjuster.You can find them on Ebay for 49.99+s/h.Look up EAGLEAUTOSPORTS on here.He can tell you more.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Hiya, welcome to the site.

Yes, the cracked/broken area can be welded, it's aluminum. You'd do well to get the adjustable clutch cable, quadrant, and firewall adjuster. But I would recommend, since the tranny has to come out, get a steel bearing retainer and replace the aluminum version in there now.

·
Registered
41,825 Posts
:hello: and :welcome: to the site.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info. Any idea where I can purchase the cable adjustment and steel retainer for the tranny bearing?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Summit Racing Has Them

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1985 LX T-Top

People tell me that my 1985 LX 5.0 T-Top 5 speed is rare and hard to find but amongst avid Mustang enthusiast is considered a classic?:scratchchin

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The pre-'85 5.0L cars used a 10" clutch which is a little on the weak side for use behind a 5.0. I still have the stock clutch in my '85, it is fairly new and it slips. The best thing to do, especially if you plan on upgrading the engine any, is to upgrade to the '86-95 10.5" clutch and flywheel.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
There aren't many T top cars anymore so it's not a common car. It's considered a classic because it's 20 years old or older.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.