Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to get a new diff cover that has a fill and drain plug on it so i can change my gear oil easier. I see a few out there (Roush, BMR, and Ford Racing). Has anyone purchased and installed any of these. I read somwhere that the panhard bar hits into any aftermarket covers.... Is this true?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats the other one that i saw, which i forgot to put on my list i posted. Is it really the only one with no clearance issues? I cant thats the only one that fits with no problems.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Plus if you decide on an axle brace, the LPW is the only one that will fit it.
That's the same cover that I was looking at. Looks like a nice piece. What does the axle brace do? Is it drag or road race applicable?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I've got the same setup as Stl and it works fine. The cover slides right in, but you may need to fab a funnel or shop around for one when you fill the housing. I found a small nozzle laying around and filled it straight from the bottle, but it took forever since there was no place for the air to escape from the bottle. FYI: Old gear oil freaking STINKS! It's pretty sludgy looking as well.

The axle brace "prevents bending and twisting of the axle housing allowing for increased traction & durability". It really takes some fandangaling to get it in, but it fits well. I mostly got it because I liked the look.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've got the same setup as Stl and it works fine. The cover slides right in, but you may need to fab a funnel or shop around for one when you fill the housing. I found a small nozzle laying around and filled it straight from the bottle, but it took forever since there was no place for the air to escape from the bottle. FYI: Old gear oil freaking STINKS! It's pretty sludgy looking as well.

The axle brace "prevents bending and twisting of the axle housing allowing for increased traction & durability". It really takes some fandangaling to get it in, but it fits well. I mostly got it because I liked the look.
Haha....You spend alot of time staring at the bottom of your car? :laugh: Just kidding, I'm assuming you can see the brace under the bumper. I installed the BMR Loop on my ride this weekend. If found myself placing the BMR sticker it came with on part of the loop. I thought to myself...who the hell is going to see this...

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
What does the axle brace do? Is it drag or road race applicable?
I have the CHE axle brace...fit was tight but nice.
Id say its more for drag racing but it wouldnt hurt to have it for road racing as well.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
:bigthumbsup on the LPW/CHE axle brace combo. There's also enough clearance if you decide to install a Fays watts link.

Another option is to ditch the stock panhard bar and brace and get a differential cover with a watts link pivot point integrated into the cover (I recall that Saleen makes one but it's pretty expensive).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it does fit ill take a picture of the car from the back when i put it in.

·
Registered
287 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bad news. There was nice size chunk of metal sitting in the oil in the bottom of the diferential. A part of one of the teeth on the spider gears cracked off. I guess its time to go for a Detroit Tru-Trac before the whole thing detonates. Anyone have opinions and also what gear oil do you use with those?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also, are the stock axles 31 spline?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Bad news. There was nice size chunk of metal sitting in the oil in the bottom of the diferential. A part of one of the teeth on the spider gears cracked off. I guess its time to go for a Detroit Tru-Trac before the whole thing detonates. Anyone have opinions and also what gear oil do you use with those?
I have an Auburn Pro carrier with FRPP 4.10s and Moser axles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.