Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm having some door trouble with my 85. The striker bushings were missing so to get rid of some door rattle and make sure my hatch closed every time, I bought some new ones from dorman. The first one installed easy enough but then I closed my door to test it out and the door won't open. Not to mention, the hatch still won't latch down, even after the new bushing for that was put in too. I tested the passenger side without bolting the new striker in and the new bushing seems to be the culprit; it's too big and the latch gets stuck. I'm hoping, firstly, someone could point me towards some bushings that work better or an idea to make these ones work. And secondly, does anyone know how I should go about getting the door open? My only idea includes taking the door panel off inside the car and somehow mucking with the door mechanism.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey guys, I'm having some door trouble with my 85. The striker bushings were missing so to get rid of some door rattle and make sure my hatch closed every time, I bought some new ones from dorman. The first one installed easy enough but then I closed my door to test it out and the door won't open. Not to mention, the hatch still won't latch down, even after the new bushing for that was put in too. I tested the passenger side without bolting the new striker in and the new bushing seems to be the culprit; it's too big and the latch gets stuck. I'm hoping, firstly, someone could point me towards some bushings that work better or an idea to make these ones work. And secondly, does anyone know how I should go about getting the door open? My only idea includes taking the door panel off inside the car and somehow mucking with the door mechanism.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Lots of reproduction parts are crap and it sounds like you're the latest victim.

Sounds to me that the door is jammed on the plate somehow. I would try using a floor jack to apply lifting pressure on the pinch weld below that location and using body flex to your advantage.

Reactions: Cobrajet67

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
2,699 Posts
The plastic is probably too thick. Either that or perhaps your alignment was off. If you open the door with the lever and push hard enough from the inside I think that it should open.
I thought that those bushings were available separately but I could be wrong. Idk if that's how you bought them or if you bought compete assemblies with the metal striker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts