Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, this is for my 89.

My local shop just installed a brand new DSS 331 short block for me. The following major parts were installed with the motor. They are used but were in perfect working condition off the previous 302 motor so I know nothing is wrong with them:

Trick Flow heads
Trick Flow 1.6 rockers
E-303 cam (the only part not used yet)
Cobra upper/lower intake
correct length Trick Flow pushrods
stock OEM lifters
yada yada

Front moment one, there has been a vibration that shouldn't be there. It idles kind of rough. My main concern is at pick up. It's as though I have a bad harmonic dampener on the crank. It is kind of smooth until I get to 2K rpm, then kind of smooths out but it's over all rough.

I brought it back to the shop and they said it was just the cam, that it was a big cam. Sorry, but an E series cam is NOT a big cam.

Then coming home today the clutch got reallllly loose. It wouldn't go into any gear, I had to drive home in second the whole way. Then I got to a stop sign and when I pressed in the clutch it wouldn't come out of gear. Is this problem related?

I'm freaking out because I just spent a little over $4,000 in parts and labor and it's not running right. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone live in the Fredericksburg area that can take a look at it?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Sounds clutch related to me. Is the clutch new? Do you have the correct flywheel for the 331 kit? Remember your flywheel and dampener have to be balanced with the stroker kit IF it wasnt previously balanced..

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stroker kit called for a 28 oz ballancer, 28oz was stamped on the end of the crank. The shop ordered the 28 oz ballancer and flywheel, so those are brand new. The clutch has about 300 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Either something could by chance be a little out of balance, or you could even have a vacuum leak. Is it firing on all 8 cylinders? Does it vibrate only when you drive it, only when you have it started and revving it or both?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How could a vacuum leak cause a bad vibration? As far as I know it's firing on all 8. Do I just take out all 8 plugs and check them? I took #5 out yesterday just to see if I was getting enough fuel and the plug was a light gray. I bumped the FP up to 45 with the vacuum off and all if wanted to so was stall at idle so I brought it back down to 40. It vibrates at the same RPM no matter which gear I'm in or how fast I'm going.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Well if it's vibrating when your driving I might have to say check your drive shaft. Could it possibly be bent? Maybe threw a weight?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well if it's vibrating when your driving I might have to say check your drive shaft. Could it possibly be bent? Maybe threw a weight?
I've noticed often times after major motor upgrades or gear changes people have vibe probs.A lot of people say check drive shaft or change to alum.My question is ,if the shaft was fine before,why it would not be alright after?How could you throw a weight that is welded to the shaft?Just wondering.:scratchchin

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I've noticed often times after major motor upgrades or gear changes people have vibe probs.A lot of people say check drive shaft or change to alum.My question is ,if the shaft was fine before,why it would not be alright after?How could you throw a weight that is welded to the shaft?Just wondering.:scratchchin
I was just putting that out there as an option to check. I have no first hand knowledge of stroker motors, so I don't really know what all could be wrong with it. I am just trying to help. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was just putting that out there as an option to check. I have no first hand knowledge of stroker motors, so I don't really know what all could be wrong with it. I am just trying to help. :bigthumbsup
:)That's cool,I know nothing about strokers either.Wasn't trying to question your knowledge.I was just saying I see drive shafts blamed a lot.Iwas more curious than anything else.I include myself in the vibe category.I'm all about learning something new.I agree it's something to check and rule out.Some people say go alum. cause it absorbs vibes better than steel.But masking the symptoms doesn't make the prob.go away.I just don't under stand that's all.Maybe some body can enlighten me.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think you need to drop the transmission and check out the pressure plate and input shaft. The pressure plate needs to be check, for proper balance and to see if all the fingers are not bent,cracked or broken. When they put in your new engine was the transmission still in the car? or was the engine and transmission put in as one unit? If the transmision was still in the car when they installed the engine the input shaft on the transmission could bind if the clutch was not in proper alignment with the shaft. This is the second time on this web site that Ive heard that someone was having a vibration issue with a DSS stroker the last one was also a 331. Good luck on getting this corrected.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know it's not drive shaft related because it will vibrate at 2K at a stand still.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Well if it vibrates at stop, and there isn't any vacuum leaks something internal has to be out of balance if the balancer and flywheel are new. It's either that or clutch related like **** said. I'm stumped now...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How would a vacuum leak cause a vibration at a certain RPM?

I'm about ready to sell the car...ha.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
DONT SELL IT!! lol

What is left that could cause a vibration at a certain rpm?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have no idea what's left. I want to trust the shop that they ordered and installed the right balancer and flywheel. So I can't think of what else it could be.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think it might be the balancer and flywheel. Can you get the casting number off of the balancer. That would help tell if it is a 50 oz or a 28oz. The only other way that I now how to check is to have both of them side by side. I hope this helps .. As for the flywheel I really don't know.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
i had no problem with my dss 331. What kind of balancer did they order (name brand) DSS specifically told me not to go with professional products because they arent a quality part. see if the engine shop has a reciept from where they order the balancer and flywheel? and is the timing off? might sound stupid but it might be worth checking into.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i had no problem with my dss 331. What kind of balancer did they order (name brand) DSS specifically told me not to go with professional products because they arent a quality part. see if the engine shop has a reciept from where they order the balancer and flywheel? and is the timing off? might sound stupid but it might be worth checking into.

I'll look into that. What balancer are you running?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I called DSS today. They want me to run the car for a few second with out the belt on the front to narrow down the vibration. If it's still there then I need to take off the trans, then the clutch. I guess I have work to do...

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Well good luck in your next task...

If you need any more opinions you know where to look. :bigthumbsup

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.