Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am soon to be installing a new stroker engine that has never ran, but was built almost 5 years ago. Anyone have any recommended initial startup procedures? And secondly, since the engine has been sitting for so long since it was built, is there anything in particular you would do beyond the typical new engine startup procedure?

Thx.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Make sure the motor is primed before starting. Pull distributor if 5.0 and use oil priming shaft to spin the oil pump and get the oil flowing through the block. (not sure exactly on a 4.6) but you need the motor to have oil flowing before starting. Make sure the motor has coolant.

After that has been primed start the motor and let run at a steady RPM for a little until motor is warm checking for leaks while running. Shut off check for leaks (Again). Get your timing gun out and start tuning on the next startup setting idle control screw and timing. Make sure your rockers have the correct tolorences also (That should be done before initial start too.)

Get the motor running smoothly, change the oil again then you should be ready to drive around. I do not suggest beating on the motor until it has run a couple hundred miles to let everything break in normally and seat the seals.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
he is right, prelube a bunch. you can even get someone to turn it over by hand while you spin the pump. do this a couple of times. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
That's pretty much it, the question would be if the bearings or rings rusted. I doubt they would be, as long as it wasn't sitting outside in a field and getting rained on. Lube it up, and fire it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.