Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just purchased a very clean white 93 Mustang GT with 125,000 miles. It has a full exhaust, CAI, and short throw as the only mods. I'm loving it but have a few questions.

It runs great for the most part except for some slight hesistation backfiring under load when it's not warmed up to full operating temp.

The steering feels a little loser than I like. I'm assuming either tie rods or worn rack. Is that a common issue on these cars?

I want to do a full tune up with new plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, cap and rotor. Am I missing anything? Any recomendations on brands for a good cap and rotor as well as plugs and wires? I'm new to these cars.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hey guys. I just purchased a very clean white 93 Mustang GT with 125,000 miles. It has a full exhaust, CAI, and short throw as the only mods. I'm loving it but have a few questions.

It runs great for the most part except for some slight hesistation backfiring under load when it's not warmed up to full operating temp.

The steering feels a little loser than I like. I'm assuming either tie rods or worn rack. Is that a common issue on these cars?

I want to do a full tune up with new plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, cap and rotor. Am I missing anything? Any recomendations on brands for a good cap and rotor as well as plugs and wires? I'm new to these cars.

Clean your mass air flow sensor not sure if that will fix your hesitation or not, but will get dirty.
While your are giving your car a tune-up, you might might to replace you ignition module and you p.i.p. sensor(both in your distributor. they will fail!!!
Power steering racks def. wear out over time. had to replace mine last year for that reason.
As far as brand names there are so many out there. I use Ford products, just because the dealer is just down the road, but just about any manufacturer will work.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Ford parts are good. That covers most the tune up other than fluids which you should do also. Tie rods, ball joints and control arm bushings all control the steering. Someday you should replace the rag joint on the steering shaft to a solid one. You need to run the codes, check TPS voltage to be .77-.99v (green and black wires) and clean the MAF with MAF cleaner. A does of seafoam through the TB vacuum never hurts. You can also run it in the oil before a change and the fuel tank. You may want to check for fuel in the reg vaccum line (means its bad) and the fuel pressure to be 38# with vacuum removed. DIY KOEO/KOER/Cylinder Balance Self-Test Procedure If the car doesnt have subframes get a set of weld ins

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the info guys. Looks like I've got stuff to do this weekend. I"ll get the basic tuneup done along with a coolant flush and do the suspension work gradually. Really enjoying the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts