Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im averaging just shy of 16 mpg in my 2000 V6. I do a mix of high way and street driving but having to fill up every other day in a V6 is ridiculous. i do not know the full history of my fuel filter but American Muscle promises better fuel economy with a new one. has any one ever replaced their fuel filter and seen significant results? Thank you very much

·
Registered
313 Posts
when was the last time you had a tune-up? Changed mine at 9k, runs a little smother but no mpg change

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
i changed mine at 70K

no difference.

the one in my truck has 140K on it now. not starveing for gas.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
well i bought the car in February and it comes as close to sucking as a mustang can. ive dumped over $1000 but never had an official tune up. do you think its more than an fuel filter? i also have a progressing exhaust leak (i like to turn up the radio and pretend its not there) and ive never looked at the spark plugs.

P.S. i used to own a different 2000 V6 mustang and i drove her like i stole it every day and still got better mpg then i do in this one that a baby around town

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
what i would do.

being a laid off working man i f i were you.

id go buy new spark plugs without even looking at the old ones.

motor craft single arc.
new wires ( 15 at auto zone )
gap the plugs
pull old ones then check them.

put in new plugs and wires, one at a time so you dont mess up fireing order.

blow out the air filter with a air brush or air gun.

if you got the fuel filter replace it but i wouldn't worry to much about it, a fuel pressure test ( rent it free at auto zone) will determine that.

new coolant, good oil change change trans fluid inspect brake lines.

as far as the leak, find it and patch it, and or weld it.

pull and inspect O2 sensors

if its a daily driver thats where i would start

if not id do all that. but pull off TB and clean it, check the valves, check the manifolds. check the injectors.

either way i hear good things about like seafoam to clean the motor oils and such.

yea 16 MPG is rough in a V6. my V8 un efficent ram gets 16 highway

but with these you might pick up some mpg.

·
Registered
313 Posts
well i bought the car in February and it comes as close to sucking as a mustang can. ive dumped over $1000 but never had an official tune up. do you think its more than an fuel filter? i also have a progressing exhaust leak (i like to turn up the radio and pretend its not there) and ive never looked at the spark plugs.
Pull the plugs and replce, I bet they are coated up good. Fuel filter is cheap and can be done by yourself. Get some fuel injector cleaner and add it to fuel tank. Fix exhaust leak, this should also be cheap. If it runs good after that then save up some money and get a cai+tuner.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
o yah, forgot to mention i have a stock air intake and the rubber "snorkel" that goes into the fender-wall is missing. but thanks alot of the advice and ill definitely add new spark plugs to my weekly shopping list. one last question; ive read that Motorcraft has the best plugs for a mustang but ive also seen adds for Pulstar has an amazing spark plug but is also amazingly expensive. any suggestions?

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
o yah, forgot to mention i have a stock air intake and the rubber "snorkel" that goes into the fender-wall is missing. but thanks alot of the advice and ill definitely add new spark plugs to my weekly shopping list. one last question; ive read that Motorcraft has the best plugs for a mustang but ive also seen adds for Pulstar has an amazing spark plug but is also amazingly expensive. any suggestions?

for your application just get the motorcraft plugs it calls for.
a single ground.
the tube dont matter much, but id put one on anyways when you can.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The stock intake doesn't go into the fenderwell: that's one reason to upgrade to a CAI... 16mpg is pretty rough for a V6. Like these guys have suggested: routine maintainence will go a loooonng way to helping gas mileage. Sounds like you need a new fuel filter (change every 30k miles), spark plugs (every 60k), oil change (every 3-5k), and maybe air filter (every 15k). :bigthumbsup Also, definitely get that exhaust leak fixed!!! That isn't helping anything... :so

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Oh yeah, as far as plugs are concerned: just get a good brand plug (Motorcraft, Bosch, etc) that's already gapped properly. I think our stock gap is .054...

Exotic materials (platinum, iridium) just last longer; also, double-, triple, or quadruple-ground (or tip) plugs will respectively last longer. For example, my plugs are platinum and 4 tips, so they should last quite a while! :D

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
Oh yeah, as far as plugs are concerned: just get a good brand plug (Motorcraft, Bosch, etc) that's already gapped properly. I think our stock gap is .054...

Exotic materials (platinum, iridium) just last longer; also, double-, triple, or quadruple-ground (or tip) plugs will respectively last longer. For example, my plugs are platinum and 4 tips, so they should last quite a while! :D

the tips have nothing to do with lasting longer, its simply just more paths for the arc to go to. its the electrode that burns not the ground finger. weather it goes to ground a a a a a a or ground a b a c a d a a b c d b c a it dont matter its still the same amount of arcs. unless your driving 5K rpms all day long or more you really dont need em.

if theres not 2 3 or 4 grounds on a plug the arc WILL go to the single. besides they usually cost more for multi grounds. i got a set of Bosch +2 i took back out of my car because non gapped plugs ( multi electrodes ) weren't good enough. the stock gap on my year is .42, my ignition system calls for .65. but the plug gap on those non gapped multi spark plugs are like a .30

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
the tips have nothing to do with lasting longer, its simply just more paths for the arc to go to. its the electrode that burns not the ground finger. weather it goes to ground a a a a a a or ground a b a c a d a a b c d b c a it dont matter its still the same amount of arcs. unless your driving 5K rpms all day long or more you really dont need em.

if theres not 2 3 or 4 grounds on a plug the arc WILL go to the single. besides they usually cost more for multi grounds. i got a set of Bosch +2 i took back out of my car because non gapped plugs ( multi electrodes ) weren't good enough. the stock gap on my year is .42, my ignition system calls for .65. but the plug gap on those non gapped multi spark plugs are like a .30
I understand that there is still only one arc. However, since the arc has multiple paths to jump, it also has multiple electrodes to erode... Because the life of the plug now depends on four electrodes wearing away, as opposed to one, it will definitely last longer. Like I said, there is no performance gains, but they will have a longer life (less replacing) than single-electrodes. And NGK agrees: NGK: Spark plugs with multiple-ground electrodes

And I'm sorry your Bosch's didn't work for you... but I was able to find a quadruple-electrode, platinum plug that was properly gapped... :scratchchin

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
I understand that there is still only one arc. However, since the arc has multiple paths to jump, it also has multiple electrodes to erode... Because the life of the plug now depends on four electrodes wearing away, as opposed to one, it will definitely last longer. Like I said, there is no performance gains, but they will have a longer life (less replacing) than single-electrodes. And NGK agrees: NGK: Spark plugs with multiple-ground electrodes

And I'm sorry your Bosch's didn't work for you... but I was able to find a quadruple-electrode, platinum plug that was properly gapped... :scratchchin
the ground will never erode. and the spark comes off the tip of the electrode. platnums last longer than copper definately, but id rather have copper.

on those plugs theres 4 grounds, and still only one electrode.

either way not to jack the thread get a good plug weatehr you go single ground ( all thats needed for your ap and will last 30-60K ) or themore expensive multi grounds.

new plugs are needed.

i spent like $50 on plugs, to throw them aside as opposed to $10 on regular coppers.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
dude, the plug still has 1 electrode, but it has 4 grounds, and like stated earlier, it has 4 paths to take, but it still has to go through one electrode, which is what burns out, not the freaking grounds.

the material lasts longer, not the 4 grounds, and definitely not the mysterious 2nd, 3rd, and 4th electrode

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
What are the advantages of surface air gap plugs such as Platinum+4 and Platinum2?To validate the improved performance of surface air gap plugs with a pure platinum core and multiple ground electrodes, extensive testing was conducted in the laboratory and in the field:
  • The first test measured the energy transfer efficiency of the four-electrode platinum plug compared to conventional and other premium plugs with a single ground electrode. This certified laboratory test measured the additional pressure generated by the spark discharge in a pressure chamber. Higher pressure equals a higher energy transfer by the spark. The test showed that the four-electrode platinum plugs transferred more energy to the air/fuel mixture resulting in improved driveablility and lower emissions.
  • As a spark plug wears via erosion and corrosion, the gap between the center electrode and ground electrode gets larger. The larger the gap, the more voltage is required to produce a spark, until the capability of the ignition system is exceeded and the plug misfires. It was found that the multiple ground electrode, pure platinum center electrode plug reduces gap erosion and increasing voltage requirements over time.
  • Roush Industries, an independent test lab, measured the fuel consumption for the four-electrode platinum plug, as well as, that for original equipment and other premium single ground electrode plugs. Fuel savings up to 4.8% were found in the four electrodes, platinum core plugs. Tests were conducted in accordance with Federal Test Procedure 75FTP and HFE.
  • Tests for carbon fouling were simulated in a cold cell by repeatedly cooling, starting and operating the engine without letting the spark plugs reach their self-cleaning temperature. This cycle does not let the spark plug reach its self-cleaning temperature and allows the formation of carbon deposits. The tests found that the four ground electrode spark plugs had up to 33% better cold restart reliability than conventional plugs.
These are the reasons for four electrodes: http://www.boschautoparts.com/Resources/FAQS/SparkPlugs.htm
And I think you might be confusing the side electrodes(ground) and core/center electrode...

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
What are the advantages of surface air gap plugs such as Platinum+4 and Platinum2?To validate the improved performance of surface air gap plugs with a pure platinum core and multiple ground electrodes, extensive testing was conducted in the laboratory and in the field:
  • The first test measured the energy transfer efficiency of the four-electrode platinum plug compared to conventional and other premium plugs with a single ground electrode. This certified laboratory test measured the additional pressure generated by the spark discharge in a pressure chamber. Higher pressure equals a higher energy transfer by the spark. The test showed that the four-electrode platinum plugs transferred more energy to the air/fuel mixture resulting in improved driveablility and lower emissions.
  • As a spark plug wears via erosion and corrosion, the gap between the center electrode and ground electrode gets larger. The larger the gap, the more voltage is required to produce a spark, until the capability of the ignition system is exceeded and the plug misfires. It was found that the multiple ground electrode, pure platinum center electrode plug reduces gap erosion and increasing voltage requirements over time.
  • Roush Industries, an independent test lab, measured the fuel consumption for the four-electrode platinum plug, as well as, that for original equipment and other premium single ground electrode plugs. Fuel savings up to 4.8% were found in the four electrodes, platinum core plugs. Tests were conducted in accordance with Federal Test Procedure 75FTP and HFE.
  • Tests for carbon fouling were simulated in a cold cell by repeatedly cooling, starting and operating the engine without letting the spark plugs reach their self-cleaning temperature. This cycle does not let the spark plug reach its self-cleaning temperature and allows the formation of carbon deposits. The tests found that the four ground electrode spark plugs had up to 33% better cold restart reliability than conventional plugs.
These are the reasons for four electrodes: http://www.boschautoparts.com/Resources/FAQS/SparkPlugs.htm
And I think you might be confusing the side electrodes(ground) and core/center electrode...

either way the ground dont wear away only the center electrode does.

i can see your not gonna give it up.

platinums are good but for THIS APPLICATION THERE IS NO REASON FOR A + 2 3 OR 4

matt sorry to jack your thread.

do a tune up get what plugs you want to, but either way go with 1 or 4 wht ever, get NEW WIRES, and go ahead and do the fuel filter, rember keep in mind a basic tune up every 6 months will help! :wavey

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
platinums are good but for THIS APPLICATION THERE IS NO REASON FOR A + 2 3 OR 4
Then what application would use a 2,3, or 4? :scratchchin I honestly went back and forth quite a while before getting the +4s, cuz of all the "advantages" these companies kept listing: mainly better firing and longer life, without hard data. But I thought, since most companies seemed to have a +4 version, it would make a difference...

matt sorry to jack your thread.

do a tune up get what plugs you want to, but either way go with 1 or 4 wht ever, get NEW WIRES, and go ahead and do the fuel filter, rember keep in mind a basic tune up every 6 months will help! :wavey
Good advice - I apologize if I lead it off on a tangent.

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
Then what application would use a 2,3, or 4? :scratchchin I honestly went back and forth quite a while before getting the +4s, cuz of all the "advantages" these companies kept listing: mainly better firing and longer life, without hard data. But I thought, since most companies seemed to have a +4 version, it would make a difference...

Good advice - I apologize if I lead it off on a tangent.

its cool, love a good convo!

+2's ect are for high horse power cars. not stock NA cars, although they will work.

if iw as Auto X or Drag racing a suped up stang id want a + plug. but for a stock its completely worthless, and takes more money for the same thing.

even with my 45,000 V ignition ( over stock 32K ) i still got rid of them because the yeilds were minumum, and i did better with a larger happed plug.

if your gonna run 5K rpm + for extended times they are for you for a stock DD they are a waste of money.

now on my boat, its a 360 plug, thats like a plus....well infinity lol.

center elcetrode and solid core around the edge.

2 threads is challangeing lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Hahaha (about the boat plug joke) :laugh: And no, not the butt-plug joke... ;) Yeah, I've seen those "sunken ground" plugs... always wondered what they were for. :shigrin

So, I apologize: I was wrong about the multiple electrodes lasting longer, though it seems there is definitely an application for them...

In summary: Platinum is cool, go for that. :bigthumbsup

[Yeah - we did kind take over these two threads! :happyhapp Whoops!]

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I had a huge gas mileage issue a while back ago. Changed the fuel filter, didn't see much, if any of a difference. Changed my plugs, pcv valve, recharged my air filter, etc, etc. Ended up being my caliper binding, which I guess isn't too uncommon on our new edge Mustangs. :so

All you can do is trial and error. Replace the fuel filter and see if your mileage increases. If not, it's on to replace something else!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.