Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. This is my first classic car. She is a V8 automatic. I welcome any advice for the novice. What gas works best, what parts to gravitate to. Anything! The engine is original as is the transmission and all parts - except the battery and wheels. Do I sound like a newbie?

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Keep it original. Look through the owners manual for the recommended maintenance schedule, make a spreadsheet from that and follow it to the letter. Buy a Haynes manual and learn how to do it yourself. Listen to the car as you drive instead of the stereo for tell-tales signs of wear or other issues and deal with them when they come up.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to AFM! Enjoy your car and check out our classic sections for some great help. Get some pics up when you get a chance so we can see that beauty!

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
220 Posts
throw up some pics of ya. i mean the car :kooky:

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Welcome aboard, 87 octane will work fine, most of these cars had low compression by todays standards. Any history on the car? Has the engine ever been rebuilt, etc.?
I'd also suggest getting a manual but I'd skip the haynes and get a Ford shop manual for '67, it'll have 4X the info and pics and be more specific to your year. Every mustang supplier sells them ~$50. Second suggestion is order a few mustang catalogs on the net, most all are free - national parts depot, mustangs unlimited, laurel mountain, etc. these are great for parts picture reference and price comparison when you need/want parts.

Once you have a manual I would go through all the maintenance items as suggested above. I started with the fluids - engine oil, antifreeze, brake fluid, trans fluid, rear end gear oil. Then I moved on to rubber hoses as they deteriorate over time and cause poor running, leaks, etc. - vacuum lines, fuel lines, brake rubber lines as needed. You can usually spot cracks when you bend them.

Next would be a tune up - plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, pcv, fuel filter
You'll learn a lot that's for sure,
Jon

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Greetings! Fellow Illinoisian! I would suggest an original/ repop Ford shop manual for your car. They are far better than any others. Otherwise, as you can see there's plenty of knowledgeable and great folks here to help. It's, by far, the best place for Classics.:bigthumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts