Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say this is my first post and thanks to everyone for all the Q&A on this site. I'ts nice to have fellow stang heads to turn to. Anyways I have a 2001 GT Manual bone stock and am taking trip black's advice and doing new gears as my first upgrade. Any good recommedations? What's going to be the differences on 3.73 and 4.10.
Looking for best quality for my buck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
well it depends on what your main goal is, i put 4.10 in a 5 speed and i am gonna be layin down around 400 and i wish i would have went 3.73, but for an auto 4.10s wont be bad at all,

·
Registered
76 Posts
oh yeah lol, and welcome to all ford mustangs its a good website to get some serious good info,

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Yeah like jojosdroptop said depends on your plans for the car, if you want 400hp on down the road do 3:73 at the most, but if you dont ever want that much power, do 4:10's. 4:10 pull harder.

·
Registered
69 Posts
this is one the biggest debated questions ive ever read on here but i would say go with a 3.73 if you ever plan on goin with any power adder and 4.10 if you stayin with the basics.. just my opinion thou... i got the bottle so im stickin with 3.73

·
Registered
76 Posts
yeah 4.10s are just way to much with any sort of power adders or any motor work, it will just spin in first and second, but i am waiting on my motor to get back to see how bad it really is gonna be, but i plan on putting a new rear end so i know now to go with 3.73

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This car is my daily driver so i'm not going crazy with this one. My next one definatly. I'll prob go with the basic bolt ons. Id like to stay around 350 horses. What brand would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
4:10's and 400 rwhp is a blast around town.!!!!!!!!!!:bigthumbsup

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
This car is my daily driver so i'm not going crazy with this one. My next one definatly. I'll prob go with the basic bolt ons. Id like to stay around 350 horses. What brand would you recommend?
Ford Racing gears seem to be the general favorite.

·
Registered
76 Posts
yeah for sure of the ford racing, i have summit and they do the job for now, but, again when i did my mods, i was thinking i was just gonna do the basic bolt ons an thats it, yeah, that didnt work out so well

·
Registered
76 Posts
yeah it does sound like a chick, lol but its all good, just do what it do

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
For the best bang for the buck for gears in your case would be 4.10's. I would also get a tuner if you do not have one already. I would get the FRPP 4.10's, it seems to be the way to go:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
210 Posts
You say you drive your car daily. I would go with a set of 3.73's it makes freeway driving a little more bearable. Now 4.10's will give you more kick in the pants, but do you want to be cruising at 65 rpm running 2000+ rpm. Now if you want a compromise between the both maybe a set of 3.90's will work. If you need help deciding this site has some great calculators to help you out. This one is probably the one you most want to look at. Ford Mustang: Mustang Tech: Calculators & Decoders: RPM Calculator. I found it to be extremely helpful for me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
well if your interested i have a brand new in the box FORDRACING 3.73 gear for my 00 GT just never have got the money to put it in and about to sell my car... sell it for $170. 706-331-7375

·
Registered
57 Posts
I put 4.10s in a couple of days ago and so far i love it! I have an 04 with some bolt ons and a tuner, so 4.10s were my chioice...
Before I would hit around 100 in 3rd, now its more like 75, and I now shift into 5th at about 110 or so... its a bit quicker!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took my car on the freeway today and I am running around 1900 rpms at 65mph. Is this normal for the 3.27 stock gears or do I have different out back?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Id say thats about normal for stock.

·
Registered
76 Posts
they would run way higher therefore use more gas, i think i am about 2500 at 65 but its been a litttle while since i have drove it so i could be off, but as long as you stay out of it and dont drive like its a race all the time, the mileage is really not that big of a deal, at least not for me

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.