Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked high and low and I keep seeing mixed responses. Some people say just heat cycle them (Explain that 1?) and some people say wait 500 miles and change the oil. Some other people say if you put good oil you don't need 2 change it after 500 miles because a magnet in there will catch any shavings.

My question is, do I need 2 break these beasts in? Or can I just heat cycle?

Explain the heat cycle please.

R

·
0 Posts
Yes, you need to break them in.
A heat cycle is enough driving to heat them up and them time to let them cool off. Say 20 minute trips then a few hours to cool off. Repeat for the first 500 miles. No long trips.
Yes, you need to change the oil out. I used Lucas first then switched to Royal Purple.
The Lucas looked like sludge after 500 miles. The heat cycles work harden the gears and put wear patterns in them. A lot of coating and metal particulates come off then too.
Gear oil is cheap, ~$20 for Royal Purple. Don't skimp on the important stuff.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$20 a pop right? & How many heat cycles should I do?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who's Richmond?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:eek:hknow Figures... Haha

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hey, when you're done figuring all of this stuff out how about posting how much it all cost - and I mean all costs. Tloc, gears, oil, etc. I'm interested in doing something with my car but want to find out what it will cost.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$400 for install, Gears $170, T-Lok $195.

Final cost: $765-$70 coupon= $695

Totally worth it

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
changing gears is one of the best bang for your buck up-grades! :bigthumbsup

+1
except I only drove 1 hour with my new gears before I hopped into a windstar intake and got stuck. Just finished but now have a coolant leak. Yay :doh:

R

·
0 Posts

Totally worth it
$400 is pretty high for install. I paid $320 to have mine done and it needed some extra work.

Bearing kit is $70 and fluids should be ~$30.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
+1
except I only drove 1 hour with my new gears before I hopped into a windstar intake and got stuck. Just finished but now have a coolant leak. Yay :doh:
You did what i did, broke the o-ring on the tube attached to overflow valve, it's easy to replace, just make sure to shove a rag down in hole quickly so you don't loose a lot of fluid, put new o-ring on it an quickly put it back before you loose more fluid

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

Totally worth it
Hmmmm, I really want to get this stuff in the car just for the hell of it. Now ... if I can only convince the budget master (wife) to grant me some $$$s.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You did what i did, broke the o-ring on the tube attached to overflow valve, it's easy to replace, just make sure to shove a rag down in hole quickly so you don't loose a lot of fluid, put new o-ring on it an quickly put it back before you loose more fluid
I'm afraid it's worse than that...

I snapped a bolt on the thermostat thing and didn't think anything of it. I started to car and was looking and realized a HUGE puddle under my car then pushed the throttle and it started pouring out. I brought it 2 the shop yesterday so they can extract the bolt and add fluid

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I'm afraid it's worse than that...

I snapped a bolt on the thermostat thing and didn't think anything of it. I started to car and was looking and realized a HUGE puddle under my car then pushed the throttle and it started pouring out. I brought it 2 the shop yesterday so they can extract the bolt and add fluid
Why were you undoing the thermostat?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Somebody told me it was the thermostat, but I just remembered it was the EGR mount (the bottom left bolt )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts