Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say howdy to everyone. New to the 5.0 Mustang world, owned a 98 and still have a 2002, but this is the first fox body for me. Been pretty much a nightmare so far, but thats what makes it fun I guess. Here are a couple pics.

·
Registered
38 Posts
:cool: Question ,why has it been a nightmare so far APPEARS to be a great car.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Nice looking car. Welcome to AFM!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well to answer some of the nightmare questions...I bought this car because I have wanted one since I was about 12 years old, so for about 15 years. I also own a 2001 F-250 Super Duty, lifted up with 35's and a V-10. When I bought it gas was $1.19 a gallon, well here in NC its about 3 bucks a gallon minimum. So it was time to buy my dream car, which as luck would have it, also gets me over a 200% increase in gas mileage from my truck, which the truck is of course all juiced up and pushing about 550 HP and almost 700 ft lbs of tourque. I get about 10 mpg with the truck and so far im getting about 22-23 with the stang. So I brought the stang home on the first day, put it right up on jackstands, pull the tires off, and the left front wheel studs about fall out of the rotor, a tad bit unsafe. Well the combination of the loose studs and the way too large front tire size, the left front tire was wearing a nice groove in the upper and lower control arms. Well there isnt enough space to write everything else on here, but to sum it up, since 1990 the car had gas put in it, someone got in turned the key and drove, it has been neglected. Also the guy that owned it before the guy I bought it from put in a rebuilt 302 from Advance auto, I dont know if maybe this guy wasnt there when the old motor came out or maybe did it blindfolded, but the whole engine compartment is just hacked up, bad. He used all of the accessories off of the orginal motor, which have about 170,000 miles on them, he didnt feel like installing any sort of fuel press regulator. Under the dash it looks like 20 people tried to install 30 thousand different types of stereo systems, there is crap spliced into everything, even into the airbag system.

So far ive changed the front rotors and pads, rack and pinion, rear drums and shoes, dist cap and rotor (dist. wasnt even seated all of the way in the motor), plugs, heater core (alot of fun), all door hinge pins, both outside door handles, threw 4 new 225/55-R16 BFG G-Force TA's at it, only cause I dont have the dough for the 5 lug conv and 4 new rims right now. Up next is to actually install some tailpipes on it so I can quit falling asleep at the wheel, LOL. And I need a windshield, probably gonna try and buy new, only because I think seeing where your going is kinda important. After that its on to the suspension.

With all of that said I finally got it to the point that it is safe to drive everyday and start saving me that gas money to buy parts for it, so it kinda will pay for itself, LOL. Sorry to be so long winded, and thanks for your interest and the offer of your help. Yall have a great day!

G

·
That sounds like my camaro. By the time I had it safe enough to drive I had put more money into parts than the actual car was worth.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh I hear ya on that, my buddy has been racing these cars for about 15 years, and they usually get rid of the stock stuff. He has a complete underside from a 93 cobra for me, with the IRS and all, I just gotta wait until I have a little dough for those Cobra-R rims and some new tires for em before I go to the 5 lug.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mmmm, the 5-Lug conversion. I need to do that also one of these days. And subframe connectors... and, well you get the picture. All my engine mods and all I've done to the suspension is replace all bushings with the poly's.

BTW, have you had a chance to crawl under there and look at your torque boxes yet? From what you wrote it sounds like the previous owners just hammered on that poor thing. Just don't be surprised if you find cracks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.