Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Mustang GT with 3.73, short throw, CAI, Superchips Tuner tuned for 91 octane (better mpg and some hp), Flowmaster 40s, and a stage 2 clutch.

I was wondering what other mods I can add to my car (nothing crazy like superchargers). I was thinking under drive pulleys but I have heard mixed reviews about them. But if they do work what brand should i get? Also do i have to change my alternator? The stock mustangs I think are 120-130 amps.

Also I was thinking about a new throttle body but I'm not sure it will give me enough hp that I can notice in my car.

And if there are any more mods i can do please tell me. :)

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Subframe connectors, any suspension mods so that it will be there later if you decide to add more power.

Underdrive pulleys are a good one, I would go with a 70mm throttle body for na motor if you get one.

Also people in the 4.6 section could help you out more and get a faster response :bigthumbsup!

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you get the underdrive pullies make sure to get the steeda ones. They come with the balanced crank pully so you dont have to use a piggyback pully, which can sometimes wobble. Definetly suspension mods, lower control arms and subframe connectors are absolute musts. I would also say an off road mid pipe would give you a little boost in power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks this is a lot of help.

But yeah I've seen a lot of people leaning towards steeda but I also have seen BBK all over the place too (and bbk is a little cheaper). What difference is there between the two?

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
BBK is the "piggyback" style that sometimes has problems. Mine have been fine for over 4 years now, but not everybody shares in my luck. Honestly, I would skip udp's altogether and spend the money elsewhere. An o/r midpipe is a good investment, and/or a tb/plenum combo will make a nice little difference as well (if you don't want to spend a lot the ProProducts tb/plenum is a good piece, or if you don't care about price then go with Accufab).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I also want to put in a throttle body for the maximum air flow but it seems like a lot of people have UDPs and seem to be happy with the gains from it. What are the expected gains from UDPs anyways?

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
I didn't get much from mine. Nothing real noticeable anyway. I think on a chassis dyno they're typically worth around like 3whp and about the same torque. You'll notice the difference for like a day, then after that it'll just feel like your car again.

If you're going to do a tb, get a new plenum as well. A good portion of the airflow gains are due to the plenum. FWIW, go with a 75mm tb. Read the tb/plenum sticky at the top of this page (might be in tech section) there's lots of good info there. That mod, along with pretty much any aftermarket midpipe, catted or not, will make a quite noticeable difference especially in higher rpm's.

Also, I just noticed that you're in CA... If you do end up with an aftermarket pipe, be sure to hang on to your factory one for smog testing. Even if an aftermarket catted midpipe passes the sniffer, you will fail the visual due to not having the four factory supplied cats. I just put mine back on (takes like an hour) every two years when I need a smog test done.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
If he is staying NA then I suggest nothing bigger than a 70mm. Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have an 02 gt, i put a c&l upper intake with a 78 mm throttle body. i have the steeda underdrives. they help a little not a lot. 410 gears help alot i think. also have a predator programer, bbk coldair intake, i wouldn't change the alternator i don't think its honeslty needed yet, but yet im 16 so im no professional, next thing you may do is work on suspension. (subframes,control arms.) wouldnt lower it if you drag, hurt you a little there, underdrives are worth the money though. hope i helped a little,

·
Registered
19 Posts
also have the basani off road x pipe, with flow 40s. bbk long tube headers, definitely worth it! simple power gain there.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
UDPS and TB: Worthless for hp, they only make your wallet lighter. A custom tune can gain you some ponies.
Now that we've covered that, start working on your suspension, new upper and lower control arms and subframe connectors...new shocks and struts, you'll be amazed at how much better the car will drive...
Good luck, have fun

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
I certainly don't want to hijack the thread, but like everyone else said, UPDs and TBs have their place... although I think chassis, suspension, and tires are a better return for your investment.

At UPR Products, we manufacture top quality sub-frame connectors, control arms, k-member kits, cc-plates, etc, with a lifetime guarantee, and at a reasonable price. Also, there is a 10% coupon code for members of AllFordMustangs.com.

With your mods, especially the 3.73, the added traction you'd gain from good suspension and tires would make a day and night difference. Spinnin' aint winnin'! :bigthumbsup

Check us out! UPR Products | Mustang Parts & Performance | Mustang Suspension | Mustang Billet | Mustang Cold Air Intakes | Mustang Exhaust

1 - 13 of 13 Posts