Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have a vista blue 2007 mustang gt and love the car. I haft to have some unexpected transmision repairs done with only 5025 miles on the clock. I know the ford service manager at the dealer and he has agreed to let me swap out the stock shifter with a short throw while the transmissions out having the noisey throwout bearing replaced. I have a $200 budget and was looking into the hurst competition plus short throw for $189.99 and the upr blue thunder shifter for $179.99. Any info or personal experiences that will help with my decission would be a great help. Also any other suggestions on shifters in my price range would help also. i haft to decide tonight so I can order and get it here. The car goes in for repairs friday.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I installed the Hurst on my '06 earlier this week, my take on it so far:
love the way it shifts now, more precise ( not mushy / half engaged feeling ) better slightly higher shifter position, haven't missed 3rd since. billet stick with cue ball looks damn fine. did a proper install, loctite and all and the noise from vibrations that everyone talks about came true for me as well.
I like the shifting, not so sure about the noise...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
man that is a nice shifter, but I cant afford that. I got dirty looks when I said I was gonna spend $200 on a shifter. Has anyone used a upr short throw?? no comments on them yet, and hard to find info or reviews on them.

·
Banned
708 Posts
Don't get the hurst, looks sweet but rattling junk, an expensive lesson I had to learn in my 2009 GT....wait till you can afford the MGW It's truely the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I have the hurst and it was plagued by the rattles; however, the fix was easy. I used locktite on the bolts and rubber washers on the handle bolts for the handle. I also used dynamatting. I have no rattling nor noise coming from the shifter.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hurst Competition Plus+

The Hurst is a great shifter. Mine is precise, smooth and quiet with not one rattle. Just follow the instructions and use the neoprene isolator pads when you bolt up the shifter arm. Also, don't forget to properly reinstall the lower boot. Many people forget to seat it correctly and it could cause noise transfer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
One other suggestion for the Hurst buzz/rattle is to wrap the threads on the shift lever with teflon tape before you install the ball. I've been driving my '06 with the Billet Comp model for half a year now and absolutely love it!

·
Registered
104 Posts
or you could say screw all that extra junk you have to do to the hurst and buy an MGW.....agree with cobras55 save up for MGW

·
Registered
135 Posts
sorry MGW is the only way to go

·
Banned
708 Posts
I did nothing "extra" to my FRPP/Hurst and it works without a hitch. I think some people just door poor installs.
I did my install and did every thing under the sun to try and fix the rattle, people suggested tons of things in the past, tried them all and the junk still rattled...so i took it to a guy I know who has been a mechanic for 25 years(he also builds race cars) and he could not fix the rattle either, and said my install was no different then he would do, only his install time would be quicker obviously.

Bottom line is that it is poorly constructed, and if you are lucky enough to have one that does not rattle consider yourself extremely lucky, more then likely it will rattle eventually though, I know guys who have had them on for 2 years then they start to rattle...
It wasted alot of my time and money trying to fix this, so i would hate to see someone else go through this, but do as you want and remenber I warned ya....

OH and when I finally woke up and bought a MGW , i could of kicked my own ass so hard for not getting it sooner and wasting all that time and money....:worshipMGW............Cheers!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so is installing a mgw shifter easy? they talk about shifter stops and adjustments??? I am wondering because the service manager said if its a quick swap he wouldn't have a promblem doing it for free. So I showed the fiance and she said I could spring a few extra bills to get a quality piece. Keep the info coming. Also where is a good place to order it? how much is a good price for the shifter? and does it come with the shift knob?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a hurst on my V6 and when I first put it in it rattled. I tried a bunch of the so called "fixes" and they didn't work so I just put it in the way it was supposed to be installed in the instructions with loctite and all. I then found a thread where people said they had used white lithium grease on the ball/socket area and I did this and now I have no noise. I just bought a can of it called "liquid wrench" and it's been noise free since I did that a few months ago.

I know thats not really advice to buy the hurst or not, but for those with the hurst that have noise issues I wanted to spread the word.

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a hurst on my V6 and when I first put it in it rattled. I tried a bunch of the so called "fixes" and they didn't work so I just put it in the way it was supposed to be installed in the instructions with loctite and all. I then found a thread where people said they had used white lithium grease on the ball/socket area and I did this and now I have no noise. I just bought a can of it called "liquid wrench" and it's been noise free since I did that a few months ago.

I know thats not really advice to buy the hurst or not, but for those with the hurst that have noise issues I wanted to spread the word.

I followed the instructions to the letter, took my time, used loctite and lithium grease, double checked everything, boot is on properly etc... RATTLE!:shrug:
glad yours doesn't do it, cause its a fine shifter otherwise.
my car 'll have to be a noise box until I get $$ for an MGW...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I followed the instructions to the letter, took my time, used loctite and lithium grease, double checked everything, boot is on properly etc... RATTLE!:shrug:
glad yours doesn't do it, cause its a fine shifter otherwise.
my car 'll have to be a noise box until I get $$ for an MGW...
I know the feeling, it drove me crazy when I first put it in. I don't know if you want to fool with it or just try to get a new one, but I've also heard of people replacing the rear polyurethane bushing with the stock one. That didn't work for me though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.