Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mustang needs new exhaust manifolds there cracked, So i decided to get some headers. But my question is are all the headers the same because BBK headers look nice and are chrome but cost 280.00... PaceSetters headers cost 150 but are they good? Hedman headers cost 215.00, i got all these prices from summitracing.com heres da link. "http://www.summitracing.com/search/Year/2002/Make/FORD/Model/MUSTANG/Department/Exhaust/Section/Headers/Engine-Size/3-8L-232/?Ns=Rank|Asc" But looking at all the headers specs all three brands have different Primary Tube Diameter (in), Primary Tube Gauge, Flange Thickness.. i dont know wats the difference can some one help me, if bbk cost more just cuz of the brand then al go with paceSetters headers or hedman headers.. Has anyone installed any of these headers? I will appreciate any help.

·
Registered
517 Posts
ehh I would stick to bbk some off brands do not line up correctly or make it hard to get spark plugs out the tube diameter is important the bigger the better. Also are you getting shorties or long tubes? For long tubes you need to jack the motor up like really high or have the motor out to get them in

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want shorty headers i live in california smog nazis.. Shorty headers are easy to install like stock exhaust manifolds right?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Haha yea their easierr still takes a hell of a long time though just got mine in took a few hours. You have to loosly attach them to the h pipe then put all the bolts to the heads in loosely on both sides then tighten the bolts ot the head then to the h pipe and have a hydrolic jack ready to jack up the exhaust under the car its alot of playing around with stuff but not too hard just very very time consuming...

·
Registered
517 Posts
well mine is a 5.0 but i did bbk shortys and they we about 200 but the quality is good and they look really nice and come with the hardware... which is a bigggg plus that s*** is expensive

G

·
The only headers that are CA legal for 99-03 3.8s is the JBA ones for $400 or so. They have a CARB EO number.
BBK, Pacesetter, and Hedman are not legal as they have no CARB EO number. They are all basically the same, but only JBA payed the extortion fee to get the CARB sticker.

·
Banned
439 Posts
If you want shorties, just get '94 - 98 headers from a junk yard :winks

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
like they're really going to know...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yea just curious to see how Cali checks all these legal things on the cars and especially on something as subtle as headers from 94-98 on the next generation sixers?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only headers that are CA legal for 99-03 3.8s is the JBA ones for $400 or so. They have a CARB EO number.
BBK, Pacesetter, and Hedman are not legal as they have no CARB EO number. They are all basically the same, but only JBA payed the extortion fee to get the CARB sticker.
I know its stupid that only if they pay the fee its Carb legal. I still dont know what headers to get.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I just got done installing a set of pacesetter shorty's(literally 2 hours ago). At first they fit like ****, but after some "persuasion" they sound good and look good. If it were up to me I would spend a little extra money on something that is going install easier.

The flanges that bolt to the down pipes were off pretty good on the pass side header. I called pacesetter and their customer support was really good. They said they would replace it for free if I could email them a pic of the fitment issue. I didnt have an option, they had to work today but if I needed a different one seems like they were gonna be really cool about it.

Just remember, you get what you pay for!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
i got pacesetter header shorty and they are a pain to install. The black ones don't look shiny after like a month in the car. Gains are little like one or 5 hp but i had a crack too.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hey kicker, when I was reading over the fine print it says that the black paint is not a high temp paint. Basically its just there so they dont rust in their warehouse :D. We used them because of the price!!! (I had no say so in it, I was doing the work for a friend)

·
Registered
368 Posts
i know i just wanted to say that they don't look shiny and stuff. i liked them not my favorite mod but its nice.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
You could just get a set off a 99-04 mustang front the junkyard, it's not much, you could probably even find them on eBay, if I can find mine I'll give them to you for $50 plus shipping, I'm tired of this old crap laying around, I think they are somewhere out in the shed

1 - 20 of 25 Posts