Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I hoping someone can help me out here. I have a chance to get a pretty good deal on some GT40 heads not GT40P but real GT40 heads. I have two questions really, the first one is what cam should I go with since it is basically a stock 88 5.0 with T5 and 3:73 gears? Next question is can I use the orginal stock intake for now until I can scrape up enough dough to upgrade the intake etc?

Thanks,

·
Registered
109 Posts
Speed Density or Mass Air? Makes a difference.

Should be able to use stock manifold.

I do not claim to know much about speed density (almost spelled it speed denistry) .

From what I have read is that Speed Density does not adjust to significant changes to the air flow. I believe it works off vacuum which may change with a cam change (may be wrong on this one). The airflow will definity change with a swap to the gt40 heads.

In all you may not have a problem and I'm sure there is someone here with speed density that can tell you. Supposidly the cam in the 88 is better then later cams. Ford switched cams that reduced a little horse power to reduce valve train noise you can read here about some of the differences between the years.
History of Mustang Performance - 79-93

If you have Speed Density I would be sure that you will not run into a problem since you are on a tight budget. Better to stick with what you got then have a problem vehicle while you are saving money.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Okay your best bet here is not to catalog order any cam, call anyone of them up and tell them exactly what kind of setup you currently have, what your looking for in a cam as far as performance and have them custom cut you a cam to your car and taste, this my friend is a battle won. Spend the money on a custom grind and leave the guess work behind.:bigthumbsup

Oh and unless converted an 88 is speed density, i had aluminum turbo swirl gt40 heads with a lunati cam http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1598&gid=262
after that, I was in heaven. But still get it custom.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it may have come originally as speed density but I do not have the speed sensor on the T5, although I suppose the T5 could be older. I bought the car as a project (83 Mustang - 88 Motor) someone started but never finished. I do know for sure that the engine is an 88.

I don't really have any huge plans for this car but here is what I thought I might do. GT40 Heads, Intake, Convert to Mass air if possible 70MM - 75MM, Shorty headers.

As I mentinoed earlier I alreadyt have a 3:73 Gear so I thought that combo with the right cam might work well. Certainly if a custom grind cam is the way to go I will definitely go that route.

Thanks again for the info guys.:)

R

·
0 Posts
Well it may have come originally as speed density but I do not have the speed sensor on the T5, although I suppose the T5 could be older. I bought the car as a project (83 Mustang - 88 Motor) someone started but never finished. I do know for sure that the engine is an 88.

I don't really have any huge plans for this car but here is what I thought I might do. GT40 Heads, Intake, Convert to Mass air if possible 70MM - 75MM, Shorty headers.

As I mentinoed earlier I alreadyt have a 3:73 Gear so I thought that combo with the right cam might work well. Certainly if a custom grind cam is the way to go I will definitely go that route.

Thanks again for the info guys.:)
not to :deadhorse:

for whatever reason the steeda 18 cam w/1.7 rr's & gt 40 heads & intake really work well together....

yes you can use the stock intake but you will not enjoy the additional power of the cam & heads until its upgraded

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.