Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had my kooks LT headers and catted H pipe installed over the weekend. Cost $430, which I though was very reasonable, and the guy did a good job and said he didn't have any issues with the install.

I also have the Boral ATAK catback system so now the car is....wait for it....LOUD! Like holy crap the people behind me are going to go deaf! I know the ATAK system is mostly a straight through design and that the headers and hi flow cats would increase volume...but WOW!

I love the sound, but am a little afraid it is too loud....I will give it some time for me to get used to it before I make any decisions to start playing the muffler swap game. hehe

A lot of you have headers and I wanted to know if you all felt the same way after they were installed?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The biggest difference comes with going from stock cats to high flow units. I already had high flow cats on my car before my header install, and the volume increase was not as much as I was afraid it would be.

But, I will say that headers really roar at WOT, and I do love that :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have to have the wife take it for a drive and do a couple of passes by me so I can hear what it really sounds like outside. Maybe it isn't as loud as I think it is.

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
I see you are in Connecticut . . . .wonder if you will have any trouble with inspection?

That's a very reasonable install price, makes me think again that headers might be worth it. But I am in Massachusetts so I have to pass inspection every year, and not sure what would happen with that.

I assume you did not do before and after dyno; can you tell any difference in performance?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I will have to have the wife take it for a drive and do a couple of passes by me so I can hear what it really sounds like outside. Maybe it isn't as loud as I think it is.
Oh, trust me...it probably is that loud!

I always think mine isn't that loud until I drive through a tunnel or down a street with buildings on both sides...and then I say awww yiss :drool:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see you are in Connecticut . . . .wonder if you will have any trouble with inspection?

That's a very reasonable install price, makes me think again that headers might be worth it. But I am in Massachusetts so I have to pass inspection every year, and not sure what would happen with that.

I assume you did not do before and after dyno; can you tell any difference in performance?
I talked to the shop that did the install before and asked if I would have any issues in CT, he said they only do a visual inspection for cats, if you have them and pass the computer test, you are good to go. So I don't expect to have any issues as far as inspections are concerned.

I haven't had a dyno, no, but at higher RPMs it definitely pulls harder. When I first left the shop last night it almost felt like it lost some low end torque.... that doesn't seem right to me, but I figured it might be that it is so loud, that I just expect it to be going fast, even though I am only at partial throttle.

There is a shop in Seekonk Ma that I almost ended up going to, Dez Racing. If you are close to there, might want to give them a buzz and ask about MA inspections.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, trust me...it probably is that loud!

I always think mine isn't that loud until I drive through a tunnel or down a street with buildings on both sides...and then I say awww yiss :drool:
Ha, it probably is. I am starting to wonder if it is getting raspy or I am having some trumpeting above 3000rpm. That is when it seems to go from deeper growl to slightly higher noise that really sounds like lots of noise and not a nice exhaust sound...

What made you decide to add your resonators?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Honestly I installed the resonators during the header install, just as a sort of "just in case" type of thing. I figured it was gonna be way loud and they would cut the noise and drone a bit, honestly I don't feel like they do much of anything.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly I installed the resonators during the header install, just as a sort of "just in case" type of thing. I figured it was gonna be way loud and they would cut the noise and drone a bit, honestly I don't feel like they do much of anything.
ghunt, do you have a video of your exhaust setup? I drove the stang around a bit more last night and above 2500 rpm the sound really doesn't sound good. I think it is trumpeting... all the way up to 6k rpms. So I have decided I will need to either switch mufflers or add resonators.

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
I think the Magnaflow rectangular mufflers (don't recall the number off the top of my head) might be just the ticket. I had them on my car (stock manifolds, cats, h-pipe) and they sounded great -- nice deep smooth tone, no popping or raspiness -- but a little too quiet for what I wanted.

They are not chambered, sort of a straight-through design, the pipe inside the muffler takes a small jog/bend as it comes in one corner and out the other corner. I think that little bend smooths out the pops and such. Also they have beautiful 4" double-walled, angle-cut tips.

If you watch the ads on Craig's List and e-Bay like I do, keep your eyes open for a set of these, if you find a set at a good price, they're probably worth a try. List price is pretty high, like $500 or something for a pair.

These are them -- 15882
MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Yes I do...I'm still at work and youtube is blocked, but if you go to youtube and search "2005 mustang aerochamber" you should be able to find it. I have one where I put the camera on the side of the road and drove away from it- my camera doesn't 100% capture the sound but it should give you an idea. No trumpting here though- honestly I would have thought the cats would prevent that even on your setup.

If you can't find it I'll post up a link later tonight.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I do...I'm still at work and youtube is blocked, but if you go to youtube and search "2005 mustang aerochamber" you should be able to find it. I have one where I put the camera on the side of the road and drove away from it- my camera doesn't 100% capture the sound but it should give you an idea. No trumpting here though- honestly I would have thought the cats would prevent that even on your setup.

If you can't find it I'll post up a link later tonight.
I found you on YouTube. Nice sound! I think I might want to try just adding a resonator first since they are much cheaper than any muffler set will be. Just need to start researching resonators now....

Oh, and yea, I though even the high flow cats would help keep things under control, but I guess kooks high flow cats really are high flow!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Only thing with adding resonators or mufflers as resonators is it's kind of a pain in the ass. I did mine myself but it really took some finagling to get them to where they weren't hanging down so low that they'd scrape on everything.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Only thing with adding resonators or mufflers as resonators is it's kind of a pain in the ass. I did mine myself but it really took some finagling to get them to where they weren't hanging down so low that they'd scrape on everything.
Lucky for me the borla catback setup I have came in 3 sections, mufflers, over axle pipes, and then 24" straight pipes connecting the over axle pipes to the h pipe. So those 24" pipes are the perfect place to add the resonator. I will be sure to keep it to a 4" case OD to get max clearance. I might take some measurements before placing the order, but I would think and extra 3/4" all around shouldn't make a difference.

I also might start a new thread tomorrow asking opinions on resonators.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Sounds good. Mine are not true resonators, they are just round case Magnaflow mufflers that I'm using as resonators. Most places that are selling "resonators" are actually just perforated core, straight through mufflers like these ones are anyway.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright guys, I installed a set of dynomax race bullet mufflers after the h pipe tonight. They made a big difference in the sound. Brought the volume back to about where I was with just the ATAK catback, but maybe a little deeper. Kinda sad the idle is quieter because I really liked the loud idle of the headers, but at least it isn't obnoxious loud anymore. Also, 90% of the trumpeting is gone, only show up above 4500 in 1st, after that, it's gone. Very pleased overall with the improvement of the sound, and for the price, it was a cheaper alternative than changing my axlebacks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
An option to the Kooks brand is JBA. I have JBA long tubes with a shorty catted H pipe followed by a Roush Extreme Performance catback system. The Roush system has resonators and no mufflers. Car is an '05 GT bored and stroked to 306 cu in. Combining the high compression N/A motor and the nearly straight through exhaust is a screamer, and it's legal here in NC.

Sound can be heard on YouTube. Best clip is to search "THSCC VIR Spin."

The only downside to the JBA headers is they are 1 5/8" primaries. They fall a little short of the 1 3/4" that I'd like to have if I supercharge my setup.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts