Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the mustang forum and hope to learn a lot from all of you. I'm new to modification on cars and trying to understand all of it can be overwhelming. So, I like to increase horsepower on my 2008 GT - What is the first thing I should do? I was looking at air intakes, but not sure which one is the best one and what type or if it needs tuning or not.

Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Thanks for the link. Which is better the street or race air intake?
For which brand?

I would say they are close to equal. Though there may be a difference in the tune.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Welcome aboard. I ran the JLT CAI with the 93 race tune. When you purchase the tuner and cold air intake buy it from American Muscle or Brendpeed. You will get free tunes for life. When ever you buy an upgrade and you need the tune adjusted they will do it for free.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Welcome to AFM, home to THE experts! (two just posted above :winks)

:welcomeflowers:

·
Registered
100 Posts
:toot_toot: :celebration: :welcometo: :celebration: :toot_toot:

I have a black on black '08 GT as well. Lovin' it. No mods yet, but they will come... I'll either do the CAI/tuner/UDP/CMDP/gears route or supercharger. I haven't decided what I want, yet. BUT... I have been thoroughly... thoroughly enjoying my car. :)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
:toot_toot: :celebration: :welcometo: :celebration: :toot_toot:

I have a black on black '08 GT as well. Lovin' it. No mods yet, but they will come... I'll either do the CAI/tuner/UDP/CMDP/gears route or supercharger. I haven't decided what I want, yet. BUT... I have been thoroughly... thoroughly enjoying my car. :)

Supercharge it. You will NOT regret it.

Also.... :postpics

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am new at modification as well and I have a black mustang gt 2008 and the first things I changed so far is Steeda CAI, tune from bama performance and pypes violator all from americanmuscle and I don't regret it at all!!! not to expensive and I gain some power and the sound of my car is more like a real muscle car!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info. Yvesf70 - what's the pypes violator for? Is it just for sound? sorry if ask stupid questions.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Don't worry about it, man. We're all here to learn and know more... You're taking initiative. :bigthumbsup

It's an axleback exhaust. Check this link out:

2005-2010 Mustang Axleback Exhaust at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

My car came with flowmasters, but I am in love with the way these cars sound with a full MAC exhaust (headers to the mufflers are changed). Look that up on youtube. "Mustang GT Full MAC Exhaust". Wicked sounding :kooky:

Anyhow, axlebacks don't give you anything except for a different sound.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the new air intake - do I need to change the type of fuel I put into my tank?

Thanks metalheadwillie.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The ones that don't require a tune... nope.

But it's a waste of money. I'm thinking for myself that I'll be getting a C&L Racer or JLT, and pull it off if I ever need to smog or get dealership work (I'm in Commie-fornia). Those CAIs require a tune, and they are considered two of the best. Compared to others that perform just as well, these will leave 50-100+ bucks in your wallet. Getting a CAI that doesn't require a tune is like decaffeinated coffee. :winks

Anyhow, here's a great deal at American Muscle right now.

JLT Mustang CAI & SF3 Tuner (05-09 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

JLT's aren't the prettiest, but they do a great job. With the tune and that thing, you can nail around 20-30whp. Pretty intense for just 600 bucks and 30-45 minutes of work. You can also get tunes for whatever octane gas you want to run. I've heard stories of gaining 1 - 3 mpg... But if you drive it like it's meant to be, you won't lose much :gringreen:yup::gringreen

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for all the info. Yvesf70 - what's the pypes violator for? Is it just for sound? sorry if ask stupid questions.
I installed the pypes violator just for the sound... on the american muscle site they say you get increase power but I cannot say if it's true or not because I installed the CAI and tune at the same time.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I installed the pypes violator just for the sound... on the american muscle site they say you get increase power but I cannot say if it's true or not because I installed the CAI and tune at the same time.
The stock mufflers aren't restrictive at all, really. You might gain 1-3hp with an axleback.

·
Registered
338 Posts
welcome.. Can't wait to see the pics

·
Registered
833 Posts
With the new air intake - do I need to change the type of fuel I put into my tank?

Thanks metalheadwillie.
It's your choice. When you get a CAI and tune you can choose what Octane you want your tunes for. Stay at 87 or move up to 91 or 93 or order tunes for different octanes. You will get more power with higher octane as long as your tune matches the octane.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts