Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name's Zack and I'm new to the site and new to automotive work. I'm 2-3 weeks into the Automotive Technician class at my technical school and this is the first experience with the mechanical side of cars i've ever gotten. I've got a 2005 4.0 V-6 Mustang that I've had for about 3 years. I'm looking into turning it into my project car and working on it as I learn the different systems in class. The main problem/question I have is whether i can use my V-6 for a project car, or if it would just be better to get a used V-8 or GT. I'm planning to overhaul everything i can while i gain the experience. I'd like to build it up from the frame, but I don't know of any complications I'd have converting my V-6 into a beast. The overall idea is to work on it as i get the time and money for parts. Suggestions on whether i need a better starter car or if my car would work, and if so, where to begin on my car. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Welcome to the Forums. This section should help you out. :bigthumbsup

T

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Lots of info here to help you with your project. I've seen some assume built-up '05-'10 V6's at shows, 400hp+. You can do a lot with them, the V6 is a stong motor.

If your going with a new cold air intake, contact me, I have a special price for school projects such as yours.

Good luck, ken

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
the V6 is a good project car

i am kinda doing the same thing to mine

good luck:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
114 Posts
so besides a CAI (which i have), what else should i do that would give mo good HP gains for the price? I dont have a lot of money for it, but am willing to save up it the gains are substantial enough... i just dont know what to add.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bigger engine in my 2005 V-6

What complications would i run into trying to put a bigger motor in my V-6 frame?

·
Registered
114 Posts
you'll also need a different transmission, and unless you do some modifications to the bay you wont have a enough room for all the new parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well let's start by figuring out what your plans are for this car?
All around performance?
Style?
For drag?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plans for my project car

Well the whole idea i have is to pretty much rebuild it from the ground up saving what i can from the original system. I want to get as much performance i can out of it. Buy new parts for it over time replacing whatever is necessary. Won't be drag racing with it but i still want as much power possible while still bein able to cruise every once in a while to show it off. Custom paint and a sound system and pretty much an entirely new interior.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Totalled Car

No more need for help here. I totalled my car this past weekend, but thanks anyways for the advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.