Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to this forum but not new to Mustang forums.

I have a '66 coupe that I'm rebuilding/restoring/restomodding. Fresh 302 (mild street build). The car was originally a 6 cyl./C-4, I've done all the V8 swap stuff and now need to figure out the transmission part.

I have the pedals, z-bar set-up, an original (manual trans.) bellhousing, and a T-5 with bellhousing. I like to keep it simple. I'd like to use the z-bar setup and original bellhousing simply because I don't like cable clutches. I know to do this I'll need the adapter/spacer, new crossmember, and possibly to shorten the driveshaft. I still have the C4 speedo cable.

Question: Can I use the z-bar with the T-5 bell? Seems like this would save me a lot of headaches but I don't know what all is involved.

I'll appreciate any help!

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I kept the stock bellhousing and the "Z" bar arrangement. Not the best in todays standards but I didn't want the mess of a hydralulic or cable under the hood. With the stock bellhousing you will need a 5/8" thick spacer/adaper to make up for the longer input shaft of the T-5. The one who really knows his swap stuff is Bruce at http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/classic_swaps.htm
I think he also has an adapter bracket so you can use the standard T-5 bellhousing. From one of the Mustang suppliers, I got a very stock looking shift lever with the reverse trigger that bolts on the Pro-5 shifter. Good luck, you'll enjoy both the added power and having the five speed.
Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll have to give them a call, can't find any kits that don't include a new transmission on their site.

·
Registered
895 Posts
If you are using the standard T5 bell housing you should not need a spacer plate. You only need the adaptor plate if you are using a early style bell housing. You will need a Fulcrum & Spacer kit to install in the late model bell housing you want to be sure to use the E6ZR-6394-AA or E3ZR-6394-AA late model bell housing. The Fulcrum & Spacer allow you to use the original style linkage and clutch fork, you may also need a Equalizer Pivot Bracket depending on the year of your 302.

There is also a crossmember you will need that will bolt in. Bruce at Modern Drive line is good, but you have a lot of Mustang shops around Huston that can take care of you as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts