Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i had a cam swap along with a pair of gt40x heads and now the car smokes blue ' things iv noticed are smoking blue' oil going black after 50 miles' gas smell on the dip stick' plugs black ' these are signs of the car runnig pig rich right? Before the car ran excellent and was not blowing any blue.

Im just looking for some awnsers if anyone has any please climb aboard and let me know . Aslo throwing *** Code 66*** MAP Sensor voltage ' would this be the source.

Thanks abunch

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
This sounds more mechanical than a sensor problem. The sensor might be reacting to the oil burning.
When does it smoke blue? Cold start up? After it warms up? Were the X heads new or used?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Map will make the system go very rich. Check vacuum line to map and the rest of all vacuum lines . Sounds like its dumping fuel into the engine. After finding problem make sure to change oil and filter. may also have to change plugs

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Map will make the system go very rich. Check vacuum line to map and the rest of all vacuum lines . Sounds like its dumping fuel into the engine. After finding problem make sure to change oil and filter. may also have to change plugs

If its a MAF car the vacuum line to the MAP is not present, only on SD cars. But, We dont know what year car this is. So?????

Also Code 66 is NOT a MAP sensor code. Its a MAF SIG low voltage code.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is a 93 and the heads were used ' i see no vacume line that is hooked up to the sensor ' could it be that i need new valve seals.

1 more question with the guys who did a cam swap along with heads ' have you had this problem before ' i mean do i need a tune with what is happening because of the smoking problem or could it be as easy as new valve seals.

After the car warms up it throws blue smoke ' and when i get on it around 3 to 4 grand it smokes very bad.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
If its blue smoke, a tune will not help anything. Neither will white smoke. This is mechanical issue. Valve seals may be a possibility, but it sounds like to much smoke for valve seals. Unless you have none. Valve guides is another. Make sure the PCV valve is not dumping oil in the intake, make sure there is a screen below the PCV valve. make sure the Filler neck hose from the Valve cover to the Throttle body is in place. Broken piston rings is also a possibility. Also make sure you Re-Torque the lower intake. Are you sure its not white smoke( or steam) from water in the cyclinder? It seems like this would be the more likely thing from a H/C swap.

Since its a 93 model, there is no vacuum supposed to be on the MAP sensor.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just pulled my plugs and there black. Its runnig pig rich ' should i check my timing ' gas is in the oil im sure of it .

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update ' i have the upper off and its coated in oil ' will have pictures on how the vacume is routed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well went for abit of a drive and still throwing blue smoke ' and still getting oil through the intake' plugs are black ' im going to give up for a day ' btw does anyone have the proper way to set up vacume lines on a cobra intake. i went to hit the brakes and they were really tough to push on to make the car stop.

Thanks.

R

·
0 Posts
well went for abit of a drive and still throwing blue smoke ' and still getting oil through the intake' plugs are black ' im going to give up for a day ' btw does anyone have the proper way to set up vacume lines on a cobra intake. i went to hit the brakes and they were really tough to push on to make the car stop.

Thanks.
hope this helps.....

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rlg ' thanks for that picture ' it will help me out abunch !!

·
Registered
232 Posts
As black as the plugs are you have a major malfunction with the fuel system, try swapping out the mass air flow meter if you have a spare or known good one, I have seen where a bug gets melted to the two little hot wire elements on the MAF and cause the same rich problem, fuel pressure should be around 30-34 psi at idle, make sure the vacuum hose from the pressure regulator is not spraying fuel in to the intake due to a bad regulator. Code 66 sounds like a MAF but not all codes are as they appear, you should also have rich codes from the EGO sensors.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.