Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my friend need to replace the motor in his 1999 V6 Mustang. Can we just drop another v6 in it and it fire right up or do we need any other items?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
i could be wrong, but as long as its the same engine out of another 99 mustang it should work right out of the box, well any 3.8 will work but im not sure if u will need to take the computer too if u pull the engine from another year model.

·
Registered
797 Posts
cant you just swap the mechanical parts. such as the heads block and crank and go. just to be safe they could re use their sensors but i thinkthey are just fine. you best take lots of pics. fuel injection is a pain in the ass. i would definitly consider useing same intake. not sure but its not worth needing a computer over.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
99-04 should be fine, only differences I know of is in 01+ they added IMRC to the lower intake, different coil pack mount on the upper, and different throttle body and cable. You could swap over your old stuff for those.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I just did a swap and as long as you are putting in a 4.0 and he year is the same it should just be a swap. If I were you I would replace the front and rear main seal, check the oil pump, oil pan, and any clutch components while you are doing the pull.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
I just did a swap and as long as you are putting in a 4.0 and he year is the same it should just be a swap. If I were you I would replace the front and rear main seal, check the oil pump, oil pan, and any clutch components while you are doing the pull.
4.0? 99 has the 3.8

99-mid00 have externally balanced rotating assembly need a weighted flexplate or flywheel. mid00-04 are internally balanced and need neutral flexplate or flywheel. if you go with a motor that has the IMRCs all you have to do is swap lower intakes with the blown motor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts