Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got an email from the dealer I am using my 2012 5.0 is suppose to be here 8/1. I am wanting to change the exhaust as it is way to quiet for my taste. I am strongly considerign the Borla attak catback......but I have also heard that the roush axle backs are quiet loud. I want it to still sound good but have some volume to it. How would these two compare, which is louder, quality wise, etc?

Also would there be a problem changing the exhaust as soon as I get the car? As far as hurting the engine and the break-in.

Thanks for the help.....Greg

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you do a search on this forum as well as many others, there are multpile threads that include videos of how virtually ALL the aftermarket systems sound. That is what I did before getting the GT500s for mine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have done the searches on here and online I have heard and seen the videos both seem alot louder then stock. However as I have not heard either in person I am looking for someone that has maybe heard both in person or has any thoughts on the these two. The roush I believe are a third the cost of the borla catback. Any opinions on which one is better made? Which of those two are louder, and if putting them right on with very few miles will hurt anything.......Thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have the Roush and they are loud above 2500 rpm . Construction is beautiful with stainless steel and perfect welds .
The Borla ATAK in the video's seem quit loud .
I didn't go with the GT500 a/b's because the tail pipes are too short for my taste . I wanted sound and good looks too .

·
Registered
104 Posts
I believe the Borlas are quite a bit louder than the Roush. I went with the Roush for this reason, and the cost as well. Roush was perfect for my taste. But then again everyone is different in regards to sound and what they like. I have never heard the Borlas in person though, so I can't compare based on that.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Have you considered MagnaFlow or is it out of the question? They got both the street and competition versions based on how loud you prefer your exhaust. Theres some videos on youtube as well.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Have you considered MagnaFlow or is it out of the question? They got both the street and competition versions based on how loud you prefer your exhaust. Theres some videos on youtube as well.
I did the Magnaflow street axlle backs and I'm very happy with them. They are smaller and lighter than the factory units, have a nice rumble to them, but not ignorantly loud, took and hour to install in my garage without lifting the car, and they have a very nice polished, formed 4" tips.

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
I did the Magnaflow street axlle backs and I'm very happy with them. They are smaller and lighter than the factory units, have a nice rumble to them, but not ignorantly loud, took and hour to install in my garage without lifting the car, and they have a very nice polished, formed 4" tips.

How much louder are they than stock? I want to go with the Competitions but if the Streets are still tastefully louder than stock, I might consider it to save some bills.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I love my Borla S-Type, though it is a bit loud when you really get on it; it's a little louder when you're cruising along (compared to stock), but it's not annoying--glad I didn't go with the ATAK. I really don't think that the videos that you see on Youtube give this exhaust justice, it just sounds so much better in person.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Any thoughts on Pypes mufflers? I'm digging the way those sound.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are there any changes in performance or is it just sound? I am thinking my 2012 is very quiet but I want better performance to come with better sound. What is your opinion on the best performing axle backs?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the roush. They sound amazing at 4krpms ... some raspyness ... a little drone at 2k rpms. With the windows up but its very very lite .... but they are louder than stock 5x time.
Looking to match it up with a heartthrob h pipe with the flow pack soon. Looking to get a deeper roumble

·
Registered
104 Posts
Are there any changes in performance or is it just sound? I am thinking my 2012 is very quiet but I want better performance to come with better sound. What is your opinion on the best performing axle backs?
It's mostly just sound if you're only changing the axle backs. The stock mufflers actually flow fairly well, so you're not going to see a big performance increase as far as I know.

·
Registered
292 Posts
How much louder are they than stock? I want to go with the Competitions but if the Streets are still tastefully louder than stock, I might consider it to save some bills.
They are a couple of steps louder than stock when you get on it. It's funny, when you first fire it up it seems a lot louder. Once the RPMs drop it settles down to a nice rumble. At 2500rpm you can just hear it about the ambient noise and the radio at a moderate level. I'm really impressed with them.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Any thoughts on Pypes mufflers? I'm digging the way those sound.
I have the Pypes 3" super System, it scares old people and makes dogs howl. It was really badazz using "Hill Assist" in the Smokies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.