Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my wife has always wanted a 1965 Mustang, so she just bought one last weekend, making us Mustang owners. The car definately needs some care and restoration. Maybe someone can help me out, all of the paperwork from the DMV says the car is a 1965, but the VIN is 6R07... When I looked up the VIN codes, it says the 6 stands for the last digit of the model year. Would that make the car a 1966 or am I mistaken? Any advise or information is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Welcome to AFM!. We should be able to find you an answer here.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Your is indeed a 66 model year - but it could have been purchased in 65. My original title read 65 since the car was purchased Nov 65. Really, very little difference between the first two years. Mostly cosmetic stuff like grills, rear quarter ornaments, gas caps, some interior details... In fact your 6R07 is identical to my 66. R = San Jose, 07=hardtop coupe. The next letter in the series would indicate the engine; C=289 2 barrel, A = 289 4 barrel and K = 289 Hipo. Keep us updated on your project.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Well, can you post up some pictures of your Mustang? It isn't unheard of for the DMV to make mistakes. Actually, I know that on this forum in the past year there have been like 7 problems with the DMV doing something wrong with the paperwork. You may well have a 1965 and the DMV just put the wrong digit. Like snaranjo said, 1965 and 1966 are almost identical.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Does you vin on your car match the vin on the title filed with the dmv? It doesn't sound like it. Post up the complete vin from both and we can figure out the discrepancy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While looking at the paperwork we got with the car, the Title Certificate is from 1984 and older then any I'm familiar with. I looked at it and it really doesn't show the model year, just shows the car was originally bought in 1965. Then the paperwork starts back up in 2005, claiming it is a 1965 Mustang. The VIN on the paperwork matches the VIN on the car, but it is 6R07T. I know the DMV purges records if the car hasn't been registered for a few years so I'm thinking whoever filed the paperwork in 2005 saw the purchase date of 1965 and wrote it on the DMV paperwork or something. We are taking it to the DMV next week to have the VIN verified and inspected so maybe it will get ironed out then. Either way, the wife was very disappointed when I told her it was a 66, but she still loves the car so now it's time to start restoring it.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Ok, well I believe I know why it's marked as a 1965. It IS a 1966 Mustang, but when you decode the dataplate it comes out to this.

Warranty Number: 6R07T111425

Year: 6 1966
Plant: R San Jose, CA
Body Series: 07 2 Door Hardtop
Engine: T 200 1v I6
Unit: 111425 111425

Miscellaneous Vehicle Data

Body: 65A 2 Door Hardtop, Standard Interior
Color: 4 Silver Frost Metallic
Trim: 26 Black Crinkle Vinyl and Black Rosette Vinyl, Standard Interior
Date: 24J September 24, 1965
D.S.O: 71 Los Angeles
Axle: 3 3.20:1, Conventional
Trans: 6 C4 Automatic

Your 1966 Mustang is an early 1966 Mustangs. They started production of them in either September or August of 1965. Here is a picture of a Mustang similar to yours. The only difference is your car came with hubcaps.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
To anyone who knows these cars it is obviously a '66. There were 11,400+ other '66s built at San Jose before this one. The problem is that the folks down at the DMV don't know squat about these cars, or any other for that matter, and wouldn't know a '66 from an '83 and, frankly my dear, they don't really care. In my experience, whether you can convince them to change the paperwork to make it accurate depends greatly upon who you talk to and how they feel on the day you visit them. But give it a try anyhow. Otherwise you are perpetuating a lie that this is a '65 Mustang.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Older California registrations and titles had a box for model year and a box for year sold. It is not unusual, especially if the car has been out of the system at any time, for one of the boxes to be blank. Since you are going to DMV for a VIN verification, you should be able to clear it up at that time. There will be a new title (pink slip) issued to you. That is the piece of paper you want to check to make sure it is right. I see you live in LA. Good luck at DMV!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.