Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.. new guy here. :)

Backstory (skip this if you want :shigrin): So for the last couple months I have been shopping for a mustang, torn between a fox and an SN95. About a month ago I sold my previous car (a 2008 Altima) and have been relying on my motorcycle to get me to and from work in nice weather and my offroad toy (Jeep Cherokee) to get in to/from work in the rain. Anyway... over the weekend I decided that I may want to spend a bit more cash and get a nicer vehicle and tonight I will be picking up my '05 GT with 57k miles.

Plans: For the first few months I think I will be leaving the car more or less stock with only minor changes: probably a tuner and maybe a CAI. One thing that I have read quite a bit about was the adaptive learning and other engine electronic BS which results in throttle lag and other undesirable characteristics so I plan on picking up an SCT tuner to try and eliminate these 'issues'.

Research: After reading about the throttle lag last night I realized that I think I noticed this while taking a test drive yesterday but at the time I just guess it was just me making a mistake... When I blipped the throttle to downshift from 3rd to 2nd the engine didn't seem to rev up to match as I expected. I have read there are several potential fixes to this including the gas pedal recalibration and a new tune.

I did read in several older threads that even with a tune the lag tends to come back after a couple weeks since you completely cannot disable the adaptive learning... on the other hand I did see one or two 'newer' (but still pretty old) threads that mentioned the ability to completely disable the adaptive learning via a tune however the links to further information on the subject were broken which is why I am now here.

The question: Have there been advances in tuning over the past several years which allow tuners to completely disable the adaptive learning and torque management, etc so that the throttle delay/lag does not come back after a few weeks of driving? All the threads I read about this were years old and any newer information seemed to lead to broken links which didn't help me. I am going to continue searching but any help would be great since I am stuck at work now and will have limited time to search...

Thanks for any input and I look forward to sticking around here for a while :gringreen

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Congrats on your GT,Throttle lag its a common problem, but a performance tune in conjunction with my Cold Air Intake solved that problem for me.There are members here with more experience than I and I am sure they can help or direct you , good luck, drive safe :yup:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
IMHO, there's no need to obsess over the ECU's adaptive learning capability. A few consecutive WOT runs wipes out any performance robbing conservative driving parameters the ECU has stored in its memory, and that will make things good to go again.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, good to know. Thanks folks.

I will still probably end up picking up a tuner sooner than later but I will just drive the car as-is for the time being.

I think the extent of mods this year will be CAI, tuner, strut tower brace, maybe frame connectors, and short throw... then maybe next year I can spend a bit more on other stuff if I think it's necessary :bigthumbsup

Damnit... this could be dangerous... now I have 2 fun cars to dump money into. At least when I was driving the altima I had no interest in modifying it at all.

·
Banned
612 Posts
strut tower brace, and frame connectors will serve you little to no benefit (on a stock/mild-mid build application). I'd buy gears instead! Or a set of Steeda underdrive pulleys, or lower control arms, or even splash gaurds from american muscle. They are discrete and will help protect your paint from rockchips. But if you're dead set on the two, go for it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good to know. Will definitely take those off the priorities list then. Saves me a couple $$.

Not going to get into gears yet however underdrive pulleys are a distinct possibility. Definitely making the short throw, CAI, and tune a priority now (starting with short throw).

Thanks again, clearly I have to restart all my research now that I went with an '05 rather than an earlier model.

·
Registered
6 Posts
strut tower brace

I disagree with those that say a strut tower brace makes no difference. I installed a Stack racing strut tower brace on my 06 GT and it makes an incredible handling difference. You really notice the improvement on winding roads. Stiffens the front end up to give a much more positive steering response. Makes driving through the Appalachian Mountains a lot faster and more fun.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Congrats on the 05 gt. I bought my in Dec of 04 and have loved it ever since. I'm not sure what your budget is for mods, but I have to give you some advice from someone who has done the usual mods like CAI, tunes, gears, etc.

In my opinion, if you see yourself spending any significant amount of cash on mods in the next little while, I would seriously look at some sort of supercharger system. Most of the supercharger kits out there now work very well, are well engineered, easy to install yourself and no need for gears, CAIs and the supercharger systems always come with a tuner. I know it might seem like a lot to outlay all at once (around $6000.00) but if you spend $2000.00 to $3000.00 on earlier mentioned mods that might get you 50 to 70 extra and then you end up getting a SC anyway, that initial money is gone and if it were put toward a supercharger set up that will more than likely get you 150 extra hp, that supercharger (total cost) is now costing you $6000.00 instead of that same 6000.00 plus the $2000.00 or $3000.00 for mods removed for the supercharger. your total cost is now at the end of the day is $8000.00 to $9000.00.

Like I said earlier, think hard about where you want to be in a year or two and plan accordingly. It can save you a ton of cash.

It's not the plan that's important, it's the planning.
- Dr. Gramme Edwards

·
Banned
612 Posts
I disagree with those that say a strut tower brace makes no difference. I installed a Stack racing strut tower brace on my 06 GT and it makes an incredible handling difference. You really notice the improvement on winding roads. Stiffens the front end up to give a much more positive steering response. Makes driving through the Appalachian Mountains a lot faster and more fun.

This may be a figment of your imagination.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
This may be a figment of your imagination.
+1

Lots of people buy these type of mods cause they're cheap and easy to install even though they will never benefit from them. The stock suspension is pretty good I think. If, and I mean IF you have wheel hop get some LCA, I have absolutly no issue with it.

As for the post about the s/c, $2-$3K for gears, cai, and a tuner? I had exactly that and paid $1300 and $720 was gears and install (which was worth every penny in my book:winks). The CAI/Tuner will run $550+.

If the OP just wants a couple simple things, I'd say get the CAI/Tuner first. Maybe CMDPs. Maybe UDPs(though I'm not a fan because of the risk involved). Some axelbacks for some sound. Most of that you can do yourself too. Not sure what it takes to install the delete plates, but I've been told the UDPs are simple.

Get the CAI/Tuner as soon as you can. This changes the whole feel of the car's gas pedal for the better. Will add acceleration, get rid of a lot of that lag, and will make the car sound better:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats on the 05 gt. I bought my in Dec of 04 and have loved it ever since. I'm not sure what your budget is for mods, but I have to give you some advice from someone who has done the usual mods like CAI, tunes, gears, etc.

In my opinion, if you see yourself spending any significant amount of cash on mods in the next little while, I would seriously look at some sort of supercharger system. Most of the supercharger kits out there now work very well, are well engineered, easy to install yourself and no need for gears, CAIs and the supercharger systems always come with a tuner. I know it might seem like a lot to outlay all at once (around $6000.00) but if you spend $2000.00 to $3000.00 on earlier mentioned mods that might get you 50 to 70 extra and then you end up getting a SC anyway, that initial money is gone and if it were put toward a supercharger set up that will more than likely get you 150 extra hp, that supercharger (total cost) is now costing you $6000.00 instead of that same 6000.00 plus the $2000.00 or $3000.00 for mods removed for the supercharger. your total cost is now at the end of the day is $8000.00 to $9000.00.

Like I said earlier, think hard about where you want to be in a year or two and plan accordingly. It can save you a ton of cash.

It's not the plan that's important, it's the planning.
- Dr. Gramme Edwards
As it stands this will be my DD in new england and I am coming from an Altima... I drove a FWD 4 banger for years and now I finally have RWD with some power up front. I think I am fine on the power front for at least a few years :bigthumbsup.

Beyond a CAI, tune, and maybe (eventually) an exhaust I have no real plans for power adders with the possible exception of maybe inexpensive stuff like UDPs if they won't negatively impact reliability, etc... the reason I was planning on getting the CAI and tune was primarily to improve fuel economy and throttle response rather than for the increased power (fuel economy is a big deal since I put 70+ miles on my car daily just for work... I did something like 25k miles per year on my Altima and that's including riding the motorcycle or driving the Jeep part of the year)

long story short: I don't think a supercharger is in the plans for at least 4-5 years. If I still have the car at that time then maybe I will jump into forced induction.

+1

Lots of people buy these type of mods cause they're cheap and easy to install even though they will never benefit from them. The stock suspension is pretty good I think. If, and I mean IF you have wheel hop get some LCA, I have absolutly no issue with it.

As for the post about the s/c, $2-$3K for gears, cai, and a tuner? I had exactly that and paid $1300 and $720 was gears and install (which was worth every penny in my book:winks). The CAI/Tuner will run $550+.

If the OP just wants a couple simple things, I'd say get the CAI/Tuner first. Maybe CMDPs. Maybe UDPs(though I'm not a fan because of the risk involved). Some axelbacks for some sound. Most of that you can do yourself too. Not sure what it takes to install the delete plates, but I've been told the UDPs are simple.

Get the CAI/Tuner as soon as you can. This changes the whole feel of the car's gas pedal for the better. Will add acceleration, get rid of a lot of that lag, and will make the car sound better:bigthumbsup
Thanks for this confirmation. I just put the braces/connectors at the top of my list when I was shopping for a fox or SN95 stang. Will definitely prioritize the CAI/Tune now.

I will do some research on my own but what risk is there with UDPs?

And I am pretty competent when it comes to cars so installation isn't a big deal. Hell.. when I went back to look at the strut tower braces a 2nd time I started thinking I could probably fab up something stronger myself and decided that I could truss my axle myself for far less than the cost of a swarr bar.

Installing gears should be a pretty solid weekend project so I could get those for pretty cheap... but again I don't want to sacrifice fuel economy so I will probably avoid those for the time being.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
As it stands this will be my DD in new england and I am coming from an Altima...

. . . I will do some research on my own but what risk is there with UDPs?

. . . for far less than the cost of a swarr bar.

. . . . Installing gears should be a pretty solid weekend project so I could get those for pretty cheap... .
I don't think there is much risk with the UDP's. My local shop gave me a strange look and warned me that the alternator may not put out enough power with them and the alternator light could go on . . . but I went ahead and installed them myself with absolutely no issues noticed so far; no alternator light, A/C works fine, car runs at the same temperature as before, etc. . . . passed Mass state inspection no problem . . . I did not notice a huge difference, but car does seem a little quicker, MPG went up maybe 0.25-0.5 MPG depending on conditions

Anti-sway bar is a different story from the bracing and STB; if you want to improve the handling a beefier anti-sway bar is a good basic mod (front and back). I got an STB because I think it looks kinda cool and I like the idea of it, but did not notice any big difference.

Installing gears is one job that most recommend for the pros only, tricky and if not done exactly right they will whine

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anti-sway bar is a different story from the bracing and STB; if you want to improve the handling a beefier anti-sway bar is a good basic mod (front and back). I got an STB because I think it looks kinda cool and I like the idea of it, but did not notice any big difference.

Installing gears is one job that most recommend for the pros only, trick and if not done exactly right they will whine
Anti-sway bars are definitely going to be installed eventually; probably the first suspension mod I will end up doing later in the summer or next spring.

Gears aren't too bad if you get good tools and take your time to get it right. I will be building another set of axles for my Jeep in the coming year or two and will be installing my own gears in those. The big thing is to get a good install kit that comes with small enough shims... some install kids only come with larger shims so getting the fine adjustments done can be difficult if not down right impossible to do. I realize most people say to leave it to the pros but I'm confident I could do it myself and I regret paying a shop to do gears in the axles that are currently in the Jeep. Depending on price I might end up picking up a 2nd axle so I can swap gears out of the vehicle and then just swap the entire axle over.

It's currently a debate... do I spend $$ on steel to build long arms for the Jeep or do I spend money on the stang? Buy new tires for the Jeep or the stang? etc...:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts