Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an 89 LX from a guy and he told me it has a bent wheel. I found out at Discount Tire that both left side wheels were bent. For whatever reason they couldn't order me new wheels so I've been looking online and reading a million threads trying to figure out which Cobra R wheels to buy. I'm assuming they are 17x9. They have 245/45ZR17 tires all around and rub in the front slightly. I've seen them for sell with +18, +20, etc offset. How do I know what offset the good wheels have? Is there a way to measure it with the tire on the car. I don't have much for tools right now. What is the repercussion of having wheels on one side with +/- 2mm of offset than the other? Thank for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
To get your wheel width.... measure from inside to inside of the bead of the wheel.

Offset is the distance between the hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
You can do it with a tape measure, you just need to convert 16th into MM for the offset is all. You'll find a conversion table on the internet.

·
Registered
511 Posts
why dont you just pull one off and look at the back of the wheel. the size should be cast in the back of the spokes. like 17x x" for width and for offest it will either say offset with the number afterwards or it will sat ET with the offset after that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking that, but I don't have a jack. That car is super low. Do pretty much all rims have the info on the back?

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I was thinking that, but I don't have a jack. That car is super low. Do pretty much all rims have the info on the back?
Most rims only tell you the name of the manufacture and where they were made.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Most rims only tell you the name of the manufacture and where they were made.
i can tell you that after working in the tire and wheel industry for six years almost all wheels have the wheel size, offset and manufacturer stamped somewhere on the back of a spoke, the barrel, or on the hub mounting surface. They dont always have all of the info though. Ive seen ones which say just the manufacturer, or just the wheel size. it all depends on who makes that particular wheel.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
i can tell you that after working in the tire and wheel industry for six years almost all wheels have the wheel size, offset and manufacturer stamped somewhere on the back of a spoke, the barrel, or on the hub mounting surface. They dont always have all of the info though. Ive seen ones which say just the manufacturer, or just the wheel size. it all depends on who makes that particular wheel.

^^^My point exactly.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I probably used the wrong word when I said "most" I guess I should have said a lot.

But what I did say was manufacture and where they were made, as long as I'm correcting things.

"A lot" I won't use the word "most" rims and after market rims will say MADE IN JAPAN.. or where ever, even the real Cobra R wheels on the inside says MADE IN JAPAN.

I'll let the OP post what he finds for himself with the stamping on the back side of the rim then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts