Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just got my first Mustang and I am legit obsessed. It is the 2016 Mustang GT in white, premium package. I can't stop driving it, its unlike any car I have owned before.

I have some general questions about the car. For starters, can I screw up the transmission by shifting to sport mode while moving? Should I come to a complete stop before shifting driving modes? I feel nervous using Sport mode because it feels like the transmission is going to get messed up.

Also, I really want to take care of this car. What can I do as an owner to make sure the engine is getting the best treatment it can? I know I need to do simple things like oil changes, but should I do anything else to ensure it will last long without issues? Any maintenance tips are greatly appreciated, doesn't have to be for engine.

Lastly, does anyone notice that the paint chips really easily? Ive had the car 1 day and it has paint chips in several places already. It is not covered by the warranty apparently either... Very unhappy about that. I also noticed scratch on hood that dealer tried to hide with touch up paint.

Thanks for the help everyone, I am so excited to be the owner of a Mustang. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, I want to keep this thing in prime condition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My opinion? Vehicles are mechanical devices, and as such you do what is needed to ensure they live. Oil changes, etc. Don't go overboard though... Transmission flushes and coolant servicing @ 20,000 when recommended by my 'dealer' releases a side of me that they don't want to see again. Now, they give their upsell crap a rest, and do what I tell them to do. For now...

Longevity? The engine will most likely outlive the rest of the car... And that's a fact!

Now, you've owned this car for one day, and they won't fix the blemishes? I would be willing to bet those chips were already there, due to transport, but you just didn't see them until now... At the car lot, it's quite easy to overlook these things...

Go back there and demand that they touch up the blemishes! I would! I demanded it on a used car I bought from Ford! It costs them peanuts... They usually have a third party "touch up guy" that fixes 'in transit' scuffs and chips... DEMAND he is to attend to your car. Ask when he will be there next!

·
Administrator
8,522 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride and welcome to the site!

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Was this a new car or a used car, if new take it back and grip, if that doesn't work, then contact the factory, a new car should not have any scratches or paint chips. If it is a used car or storm damaged then that is different, the only resolve you have is what warranty and conditions you bought it under, and hopefully the price was right. I was bitten by the Mustang bug over 40 years ago and have never recovered. Good luck and have fun driving it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Congrats on the new car!

When my 2016 GT/PP arrived on the truck, it had been held up by Hurricane Joaquin, and had some small dings in the passenger side door and roof. I had already taken delivery, but the dealership took care of everything with paintless dent removal, gratis. Your dealership should make this right, though I will tell you that the paint does seem to chip easily. I've got several chips on my hood, and a few spots on my bumper, as well. Course, there are tons of trucks are Charleston, with the shipping terminals, so that's bound to happen.

As for sport mode, you're not going to mess anything up by switching while you're driving. This isn't like having to stop to change from 2WD to 4WD, it's just a software routine that changes engine and transmission parameters. No danger of damage!

As for routine maintenance, your engine comes with a break-in oil. Ford says it lasts 10k miles, but I don't believe that. I changed mine at 6k miles, and put in Amsoil Signature Series oil in the car with an Amsoil filter. Since I live in the hot southeast, I'm probably going to purchase an oil filter relocation kit, so I can put a bigger filter on the car. The placement of the oil filter allows for a relatively small filter, smaller even than what the Duratec in my old Mercury Sable had. I'd recommend that you put an oil catch can on the car, as these engines tend to have dirty PCV systems. This will keep your throttle body and intake cleaner. I empty mine about every 1,500 miles, and get a couple tablespoons of blow by, each time. Someone mentioned a 20k change interval for the transmission, but I think that's a little excessive. You should be good at 50k miles for the transmission, and 25k miles for the rear gears.

Anyway, enjoy the hell out of your car!

JR

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Everyone!

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it big time. Unfortunately I bought the car used, from a third party dealership. He said they do not have a touch up guy, so I will be bringing it into Ford to see what they can do for me. The scratches are minor, but I am very nit picky because it is the first car I have ever purchased for myself (just graduated college).

I am also going to ask about the body alignment issues because that bothers me as well. I worked so hard for this car, and the least they could do is align the panels properly. Luckily, I have a 2016 so the issues aren't as severe as some others I have seen. Its mainly the rear quarter panel, on the passenger side.

Today I noticed a new issue. Most would probably overlook it, but there are small white dots on my tail lights. I am not sure what they are, but I am struggling to get them off. Any suggestions would be great, I will attach a picture.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is an image of the tail light spots. They are hard to see in pic, much more noticeable in person. Let me know if anyone has experience with this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Are the spots on the inside of your light cover? They look like water spots but I can't tell if they are inside ore outside. Either way, vinegar and water will remove water spots. Ask around for a good touchup guy. There are lots of third party folks that do a super job with paint chips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts