Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hey Guys!!

im gonna buy a new rack an pinion from Latemodelrestoration.com and wanna know about installation.

is there anything i should know or be weary about when i do the installation?

1979-93 Mustang Power Steering Rack And Pinion, 15:1 Quick Ratio at LRS - Same Day Shipping!
The installation is straightforward, as it is a direct replacement for your original. You'll want to inspect your outer tie rod ends & replace if needed. Also inspect your steering shaft rag joint, there won't be an easier time to replace it than now. New rack bushings are a good idea as well. All new power steering fluid & an alignment will finish off the job!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
i put a new one on my 93 last summer. got the job done in a day, not to tough. just remember the rag joint (long story) and also run the seat belt or something thru the steering wheel to keep it from turning or youll mess up the clock-spring and your horn,cruise control (if equipped) and airbag (if equipped) wont work. i got alot of help from the guys on here when i did mine so dont hesitate to ask. good luck! oh yeah, i also replaced the tie rod ends,power steering pump/hoses as well. 15$ each (tie rod ends) at local parts store. count the turns when removing the old ones, that will get ya to the alignment shop (a must when job is done)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks guys! jmac...LRS is awesome! i've purchased in the past and wasn't at all disappointed. I cant wait to get my new stuff! I ordered the Quick Ratio R/P and the steering shaft rag joint. and bl817, thanks cause thats a good idea on he steering wheel positinioning.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Cool, thanks guys! jmac...LRS is awesome! i've purchased in the past and wasn't at all disappointed. I cant wait to get my new stuff! I ordered the Quick Ratio R/P and the steering shaft rag joint. and bl817, thanks cause thats a good idea on he steering wheel positinioning.
Thanks man! We're here to help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts