Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I narrowed a 9" and got Dutchman axles a new gear set and lock right locker.
I noticed that when setting up the new gears that to get the correct contact patch and proper back lash, that the carrier is not exactly centered in the drop in section. The adjuster is screwed in about 3 turns on one side and out 3 on the other side to get it setup. It seems that the new ring gear is about 1/4" thicker that the one I took out. I know by going from a 3.55 to a 4.10 that it is going to be, but that is all supposed to be on the tooth side and not on the back side of the ring gear, forcing you to adjust the carrier. The problem is that now when I install my new axles the one side is fine but the other is bottoming out on the cross pin by about .10 to .20". It doesn't allow the locker to work correctly and when you tighten up the axle bolts, it tightens up enough to make it very difficult to turn. I removed the center section and re installed axles and I have about 1.20" between the axles. You can see on the inside of the locker that the axle is touching the cross pin.
My question is, can I remove .10" off the end of the axle to get the whole thing freed up? As long as I make sure the axle spline goes through the spider gear all the way I don't see why this would not compromise the integrity.
I have done several gear sets and never had one cause such an issue. It seems after several inspections that the gears are set up correctly and I figure I am better off asking before making a bad decision on how to fix this issue.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I have a duh question........do you have the mating pinion gear for the new ring gear? Just checking. Your problem is one of the reasons i just bought a new center section all ready set up from moser when i swapped gears. Sorry i dont have an answer for you. Give moser or strange a call and see if they have an answer for you.

·
Registered
328 Posts
could it be the axles arent quite right? it shouldnt matter what gear set you use. but you can cut the axles down a little bit.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
could it be the axles arent quite right? it shouldnt matter what gear set you use. but you can cut the axles down a little bit.
Im not saying it could matter what size gear is used, im meaning maybe you have a ex. 4.10 ring gear and a 3.73 pinion gear. Are you using the c-clips or eliminators. Maybe the axles are not all the way seated.

·
Registered
328 Posts
that would cause a lot of problems if they were (ring and pinion) mixed. even the same ratio. i use motive gears and they say they lap each set together before they ship them

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ford 9" rearend, no c clips, new matched set of motive "racing gear set" in a 4.10.
I may have given the center of the pinion a 1/16 to 1/8" off center measurement when I ordered axles. It could be easily done when measuring a shortened housing. I really thought I had the center exact but just a tiny bit off is what I am showing.
I have se up 8.8" and Dana 44's with new install kits and ring/pinion's ...even a spool and a power trax locker and never had the slightest of problem. I also did a posi with 3.73's in the old 7.5 I took out and never had an issue. I have Monday off and am going to run by a shop and have them double chec my center section just for a piece of mind. It looks perfect except for the couple turns of the adjusters. I looked closer and with the new gears, the ring gear would make contact with the housing if it were not offset just a hair. I already had to clean up the carrier to give it a bit of clearance. It said this was normal in the installation guide.
A quick call to drivetrain specialties in Vegas where I got the gears from will be in order too.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fixed....The gears were set up just fine and the passenger side axle was just 1/8" long and putting everything in a bind. I trimmed the axle and reassembled and it seems to be working fine.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
fixed....The gears were set up just fine and passenger side axle was just 1/8" long and putting everything in a bind. I trimmed the axle and reassembled and it seems to be working fine.
Good deal.:bigthumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts