Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking out some feedback on some shocks for my 91. All I have for suspension is bbk springs.Soon to be installed is a bumpsteer kit, camber plates so I thought I would install some shocks at the same time since they are I think stock..[280,000klm].
Just don't know which ones to buy without spending a crap load of money.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
yea, im buying mach 1's next week.
thing to be careful of though, is that they ARE for 94-04 mustangs. they do bolt in and fit great, but the 87-93 originals are a tiny bit longer when fully extended. they have a different internal structure, even though most companies use even the same part numbers. so if you come across a large dip in the road, the struts may bottom themselves out. this wont break them, but will cause them to wear a bit more rapidly. (dont worry dude, im getting them anyway. theyll be fine)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST but i just noticed you said you didnt want to spend alot. PPI has the mach1's / bullitts for like 300 bucks, so that might be a bit too pricy for your liking.

kyb gr2's are pretty cheap, a whole set wil run you about half what youll pay for tokico's or mach's. they are aftermarket replacements, so they should perform a bit better than youre stockers. check summitracing.com for them. i recomend the gr2 struts up front, but the gas-a-just monotube in the rear for les aeration and foaming. some people, brothersperformance i think, sells them eibach springs as a kit, so they should be more than adequate for your springs.

good luck! dont forget to get offset rack bushings if you lowered your car!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree the KYB shocks/struts are OK and cheap.

If you want to step up and spend about $650 you can get Bilstiens HD's. -- There is a reason why these are installed at the factory in Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Jaguar, etc. They are a good compromise between street and race performance and reliability.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great reply's

Off set rack bushing? I should be getting these when I install my new shocks?

·
Registered
148 Posts
You only need them if your car is lowered.

The steering rack bushings are part of the mount which attaches the steering rack to the k-member. Offset rack bushings physically raise the steering rack about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and help keep the steering geometry similair to stock.

If you didnt install them it would just make controlling the car more difficult and less predictable (bumpsteer).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See, thats why I love this forum. Awesome replys guys!!!

And no I did not install offset rack bushings, probably cause when I put them in it was when I just bought the car and I was to eager to install[Young and stupid too!]Now I'm doing everything the right way and since I will change my shocks and will definetly get some of those.
Thanks again, and by the way, my car is all over the place so that explains that!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep kyb sounds like the way to go!!!

·
Registered
654 Posts
shocks

lakewood makes good shocks for drag racing, but i think the kyb gas-a-just are a nice handling shock, and have 3 position adjustment,also monroe makes a "max air" shock which would allow for more adjustment on the rear (air shocks) but there only available for the rear,where the kyb gas-a-just are availabel all around,at least, last time i checked. it's nice working at a parts store you learn so much.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanx for the reply's...thinking of going with tokico's now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.