Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my wheels and tires on my vert. I'm a chrome guy so I really like these wheels. They are genuine Saleen Wheels but I rigged a Ford pony center cap to fit. Specs are as follows

Rear - Saleen 20 X 10 - 50mm offset, Bridgestone Potenza S001 - 295/35/20

Front - Saleen 20 X 9 - 30mm offset, Bridgestone Potenza S001 - 255/40/20

I went with these sizes as they are slightly larger in height and partially compensate for the reduced sidewall height - didn't want to ruin ride quality to much. The speedometer should only be 1 mph out at 75 mph.

I like how they fill out the wheelwell, love the new look with wider rubber, and these wheels are light. Stock is 245/45/19 and wheel and tire weighs 60 lbs. New front wheel and tire is 59 lbs and new rear is 63 lbs. Pretty good considering the big increase in size.

Can't really comment on the tires - just put them on tonight, but they are cheaper then Pirelli's and have a better treadwear rating. Will follow-up on the tires after a few miles.

Here are some pics. Number one shows the difference in rear size with one 295 and one stock 245.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wheels look great! Love the pony cap!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I want some fat rear tires like that! Looks great!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Very nice. Where did you get your .5.0's & do they have a pin hole or just a stick-on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice. Where did you get your .5.0's & do they have a pin hole or just a stick-on.
I got them off e-bay - don't remember which vendor but there are lot's available. They do have locator pins but I just cut them off with a knife. They have tape already applied and just stick on. The toughest part was keeping them at the right angle. I used masking tape as a guide. I measured carefully from the body lines, put down masking tape and set the emblems up against the tape.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Duplicate post.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Looks great... I'll check back for your follow up post... enjoy! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm not usually a fan of convertibles, but your car looks damn good!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Looks really nice!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
So sexy. I think the GT/CS is my favorite package for the Mustang. Looks great!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks great... I'll check back for your follow up post... enjoy! :bigthumbsup
Just a follow-up on the Bridgestone Tires. Handling is night and day better. The old Pirelli all seasons seemed squirmy under hard cornering - these stick like glue. These are my first set of pure summer performance tires so I can't compare to other brands but I am impressed.

They are slightly noiser than the all seasons but only on older "pebbled" asphalt. On newer smooth pavement they are very quiet. Being a convertible the noise is a little more obvious - with a coupe you would hardly notice.

As far as wear - to early to tell but the wider sticker rubber does help the car hook up.

Overall I'm mpressed with the tires and would recommend them. Only downside is limited size availability

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Looks great, these large tires really makes it look better too. Don't tell me these are less expensive than the stock ones...
How much did it cost you (wheels + tires) ? Also, did you lowered the car or not?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Looks great, these large tires really makes it look better too. Don't tell me these are less expensive than the stock ones...
How much did it cost you (wheels + tires) ? Also, did you lowered the car or not?
Total price including new wheels, tires, pony center caps, TPMS sensors & reset tool, install, balance etc was about $3000.00. Tire Rack shows the tires at $1600 for the set of 4, cheaper than Michelin and Pirelli. The rims were NOS Saleen wheels - cost me $1000 - pretty good for genuine Saleen. They can be hard to get though. I actually got the tires through Costco as their price was better than Tire Rack after allowing for shipping to Canada.

Cruzin Concepts has replica wheels for aprox $860.00. Don't know how they compare for weight etc to the Saleens. Here is a link.

Mustang S Style Extreme - Comparable to 2009 Saleen Wheel

In short would probably be the same in the US of aprox $3000

Car is not lowered. Tires and rims are slightly larger/taller (but not enough to worry about speedo being out - in fact stock was slightly out and is now right on) and are closer to the outside edge of the fender. It seems to make the car look better without actually lowering it.

I still have the stockers - use them for road trips etc - the Pirelli P Zero all season are about $190 ea - a lot cheaper than the Bridgestones. I can only imagine what Ford would charge for a CS factory rim though.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Thanks for the detailed answer! :bigthumbsup
$1600 for 4 tires; pretty expensive...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the detailed answer! :bigthumbsup
$1600 for 4 tires; pretty expensive...

Yeh they are pricey - pay to play as they say. That's why I use the stockers for road trips. I usually put 5-6000 miles a year on the car (parked for the cold Canadian winter) and of those miles 2500 is usually a summer road trip. Using the stockers will probably let me get 6 or more years use out of the pricey Bridgestones.

·
Registered
270 Posts

1 - 20 of 24 Posts