Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have read my other thread "Kiss My Engine Bye-Bye" I've decided on the replacement short block and from whom. First off I haven chosen MMR (Modular Maustang Racing) over Coast High Performance. CHP seemed very nice and will spoken, but just didn't feel right i.e. could answer my questions but were very vague. Kinda unsure of themselves. MMR was a whole different story, very sure of themselves and was willing to discuss any and all options, plus there parts list was much better then CHP's. So...........here is what I ordered: 1. Brand New Cast Iron 2004 Cobra Block, torqued plate
bored and honed.
2. New Ford Racing Cast Iron Crankshaft rated at 600hp
3. New 4350 5.933 MMR H-beam rods, shotpeened,
magnafluxed and weight matched w/ARP rod bolts.
4. New Forged Manley lightweight pistions.
5. Speed Pro file fit rings, precision file fit to your
application i.e S/C.
6. Tri-Metal Rod and Main bearings
7. Complete Pro-Assembly and Balancing for the
smoothest, highest revving short block available
8. Pre-Lubed and Spin tested.

And last but noy least is the cost.......drum role please !!!!!
$ 2249.00.....There is no way I could come close to building my own with these parts for that price !! Good news is the engine will be shipped out this Friday. So when I return from SEMA this week, my new engine will be waiting....YES---YES---YES !! :bigthumbsup:gringreen:happydance::D:wavey

·
Registered
726 Posts
Congrats! how much boost do you plan on running on this block.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I have their Monster Mod 5.4 block and have been very happy with it so far.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Damn thats pretty cheap on the motor. Sounds great, but how come i always hear people on this forum as well as others saying their motor costed 5-8k fully built? is that because it was a stroker motor, and had parts that could handle like 800-1000hp?

Im just curious, that seems like a great build and great price!

The install/assembly will be the pocket killer lol..

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Damn thats pretty cheap on the motor. Sounds great, but how come i always hear people on this forum as well as others saying their motor costed 5-8k fully built? is that because it was a stroker motor, and had parts that could handle like 800-1000hp?

Your close on a fully built motor, I also have seen those prices, but keep in mind am only purchasing a short block which is the Block, pistons, rods,bearings and crank. I will reuse all other parts off my blown motor. The most am looking at in add'l. to the short block are a few gaskets and maybe a oil pump. If my oil pump didn't pick up any metal than I can reuse it. No cost on install/assembly, I'll do it myself.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats! how much boost do you plan on running on this block.
I'll still run 10lbs., could go higher, 11-12 with no issues on 600hp rated motor. But with the numbers I was pulling on the factory block this new one will give me a large saftey net. (read no more blown motors). :gringreen

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Your close on a fully built motor, I also have seen those prices, but keep in mind am only purchasing a short block which is the Block, pistons, rods,bearings and crank. I will reuse all other parts off my blown motor. The most am looking at in add'l. to the short block are a few gaskets and maybe a oil pump. If my oil pump didn't pick up any metal than I can reuse it. No cost on install/assembly, I'll do it myself.
Oh i gotcha, now it makes sense- this is a great alternative if my motor ever got messed up. Hopefully ill never see this day(Knock on wood). Will the heads always be reusable?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts

My shortblock was only 4 grand and I paid to expedite it.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Hmm, not bad PLstang. I always thought the shortblocks were soo much money, they dont seem to be as bad as i thought.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
thats a great price! sorry bout your stock motor. you're good to go now. :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heads can be reused so long as there isn't any damage to it in the cyl. that blew. I'll check out everythang first and then send to my buddy at his speed shop to go over approx. 100.00 but well spent.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
i had head damage when i blew my block but I just had MMR do a stage two port and polish and toss in some stainless valves and springs and I was ready to roll.

take it upon your self to do the same. your stock cams work great but I would get those heads ported while they are off and do your self a favor and buy some head studs no matter what and MMR's oil pan is great as well.

Just be prepared to be a little patient they got my block done pretty quick but they seem to take a while but there quality and performance speaks for it self.

i dont think there is one guy with an MMR block here that is complaining about it. I would buy another block from MMR and even if it meant waiting extra time.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
We're happy with our MMR block and turbo cams. Up to 22 lbs of boost and looking for more.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
I have heard nothing but positive feedback from the guys at MMR. In fact, a MMR short block is on my mod list. Along with 37 other mods :so

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
sounds decent, so for around 9K you can buy a new block and a supercharger??? hmmm, the possibilities!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.