Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new spark plugs. I want something awesome. Looking for power not longevity. What would you guys recommend? Again im looking for the most performance oriented set up i can get. Thanks guys!:bigthumbsup

S

·
0 Posts
Honestly, with a stock ignition, I've ad the best luck with just plain old Autolites. I'm sure you'll have other responses but I've tried Splitfires, Platinum Plus 4's, etc and have never had the smooth idle and and consistent, clean power that I've had from the Autolite's.

Just my .02.

I didn't see where you had any iginition upgrades so I don't know if anything above stock would really do you any good.

:headscratch:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Here in a few weeks I'm gonna try the E3 Diamondfires.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Stick with Autolites or Motorcraft copper core plugs for stock or simple bolt-on applications.

The fancy spark plugs are just hype for stock engines, imo.

If you want more power, you make your plans for things that will increase FLOW, either via boost (for the money, a supercharger is the best way to add 100-150hp full time to these engines) or the natural path (stronger cams, worked heads, beefed up bottom end, full exhaust, custom tune, tb, cai, intake, etc). I'm not a big fan of nitrous, but it has its uses, though anything more than 100shot WITHOUT some other mods and tune would be pushing your luck, and even then, buy all the trimmings, bottle warmer, wet kit, window switch, pressure gauge, purge kit, etc.

Once you have the big picture figured out, details like plug selection sort themselves out.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stick with Autolites or Motorcraft copper core plugs for stock or simple bolt-on applications.

The fancy spark plugs are just hype for stock engines, imo.

If you want more power, you make your plans for things that will increase FLOW, either via boost (for the money, a supercharger is the best way to add 100-150hp full time to these engines) or the natural path (stronger cams, worked heads, beefed up bottom end, full exhaust, custom tune, tb, cai, intake, etc). I'm not a big fan of nitrous, but it has its uses, though anything more than 100shot WITHOUT some other mods and tune would be pushing your luck, and even then, buy all the trimmings, bottle warmer, wet kit, window switch, pressure gauge, purge kit, etc.

Once you have the big picture figured out, details like plug selection sort themselves out.
yeah i know all that i have most of that I am getting cams with in thhe month but i need to change my spark plugs and a few other small things

S

·
0 Posts
yeah i know all that i have most of that I am getting cams with in thhe month but i need to change my spark plugs and a few other small things

Whatever you choose just don't get caught up in the hype that a lot of aftermarket plugs claim. Your ignition system as it is doesn't require anything past a stock plug setup.

Try what you want but I don't think you'll notice any difference at this point.

Keep us posted!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whatever you choose just don't get caught up in the hype that a lot of aftermarket plugs claim. Your ignition system as it is doesn't require anything past a stock plug setup.

Try what you want but I don't think you'll notice any difference at this point.

Keep us posted!:bigthumbsup
Im not expecting to make power out of them i just want to upgrade from stock because im going to be changing the ignition coils pretty soon also

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Are your COPs bad? If so, I would recommend replacing them with the OE Motorcraft set. If they aren't bad, leave them alone and spend that money (sets of COPs are not cheap) on something that will make a difference.

Once again, don't believe Grannatelli (and others) claims on this sort of thing. We have also been getting steady reports of problems with aftermarket COPs requiring multiple replacements before solving problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.