Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got some time this weekend to install my parts that have been lying around for a while.
First, the suspension:

Koni STR.T struts and dampers
Steeda Sport springs
Steeda camber adjustable upper mounts
Strano sway bars and links

Then, it was time to put on the TSW Nurburgrings, 18x9" +32 offset with Michelin Pilot SuperSports 265/40s

:shiny:

Track day this saturday, we'll see how they perform.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It looks like it is at about stock ride height,were the springs meant to give the stock height or was it adjusted via the struts/shocks?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Im jealous of the suspension.

I never realized those TSW's look like SVT PP wheels.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
looks good! What kind of track day? Road racing?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Also, from what I understand sometimes it takes a little while for the springs to seat properly in regards to the final height. So if that's the case it may actually drop a little more.
Not sure if that is a true or not, just what I've heard around the grapevine so take it for what it's worth :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very nice!

What are you going to do with the stock wheels?

I am looking for a set of those!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The track day went really well, got a few dry sessions before the rain came. I heard that the SuperSports aren't the greatest in the rain. Well, I had no issues! Stuck like glue. I was lapping about the same pace in the wet, actually slightly faster, than a perfect dry track with the OEM suspension and all-season Pirellis!

Turn in is sharp, dive is controlled under braking. I can now feel exactly what the front end is doing and the car responds to inputs more directly. A bit of understeer can easily be corrected with a bit more throttle. A little left foot brake sets the front end without making it nosedive. The tires make it stick like crazy.

I was very (and plesantly) surprised on how well they wore too. No chunking or balling like I'm used to with sticky bike tires, they just looked clean and even at the end of the day.

Also, to show that there's quite a bit of difference, I found this stock mustang to park infront of in a parking lot yesterday:

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just curious ... How would the mods you made compare to those of the "performance package" in terms of handling, feel, and cost?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just curious ... How would the mods you made compare to those of the "performance package" in terms of handling, feel, and cost?
No idea, I haven't driven one. I'm very happy with what I've got, and I would bet that it's a bit stiffer than the PP stuff, it does make a lot more noise than stock. Stiffer bushings and heim joints on the front links most likely - so I can't see Ford selling something as stiff and noisy ; they'd be getting complaints.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Having switched just my struts/shocks/springs out on my performance package with the exact setup I can speak to this somewhat.

The Koni STR.T and Steeda Sport springs is a substantial improvement over the Ford components. Keep in mind though that a large portion of what you pick up in terms of track performance going to the Performance Package is getting rid of the crappy stock 17" wheels/tires. I'd say that's half of the overall improvement. He addresses that with the 18" max performance Michelin Super Sports. Those tires are fairly new to the scene and I've never heard how they perform but I can only assume it's night and day over the stock tires. I would guess they perform quite well however it's hard to think there is much out there that performs as well as the Pirelli PZero's. The PZero's on the PP cars are insane but they're $100 more a tire.

There's a lot more to the performance package that he could address that would put him on par with it. These areas would be the front strut brace, GT brakes/performance pads and 3.31 rear end.

I'd say today he's close to matching the performance and would be quite a bit faster if all areas are covered.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Having switched just my struts/shocks/springs out on my performance package with the exact setup I can speak to this somewhat.

The Koni STR.T and Steeda Sport springs is a substantial improvement over the Ford components. Keep in mind though that a large portion of what you pick up in terms of track performance going to the Performance Package is getting rid of the crappy stock 17" wheels/tires. I'd say that's half of the overall improvement. He addresses that with the 18" max performance Michelin Super Sports. Those tires are fairly new to the scene and I've never heard how they perform but I can only assume it's night and day over the stock tires. I would guess they perform quite well however it's hard to think there is much out there that performs as well as the Pirelli PZero's. The PZero's on the PP cars are insane but they're $100 more a tire.

There's a lot more to the performance package that he could address that would put him on par with it. These areas would be the front strut brace, GT brakes/performance pads and 3.31 rear end.

I'd say today he's close to matching the performance and would be quite a bit faster if all areas are covered.
Cool, good info!

I have a strut brace, and 3.31 rear end already.. Hawk HPS pads.. stock rotors.

The michelins are insane, way better than the PS2 they're eventually phasing out. I'd like to compare directly with the PZero just to see, I think it would be interesting.

also.. this:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'm considering putting Strano's swaybars on as my next suspension mod but how difficult was the front swaybar? The rear is cake but the front one, how is it?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Install was a breeze. Just nuts and bolts.

The front swaybar was easy once the struts were out. You could do it without but it was really easy to manuver it with them out of the way. I even left the links attached to the bar. Took it out from the driver's side. Literally 4 minutes.

If you use the adjustable links, just make sure they're initially set to the same length. I put bolts through both links to line them up and then tightened the jam nuts on the adjuster. or turnbuckle or whatever.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
good to know. I'm going to have to remove the front struts anyways to install the steeda HD mounts. I had them ready to go at first but when I didn't have a spring compressor handy, I had to fall back and just use the GT500 mounts for the time being.

Good to hear that it's easy though. I had to remove the steering rack and lower the K member on my volvo to get the front swaybar swapped out on that... no fun :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts