Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! Originally i had put on 20% Vinyl tint from Headlight armor on my taillights and topped them off with AVS Taillight bezels since the tint IMO was great quality but lacked since it did NOT cover the whole taillight assembly..

I have not pulled all that off my taillights yet, but i have bought the necessary products to spray tint my taillights =).

3M 800, 3M 1500, and 3M 2000. (All for Wet or dry sanding)
Dupli-Color Clear Coat
VHT Nite-Shades
Spray wax to make it nice and shiny after it is all done and clear coated.

I was looking all over the internet on forums of step by step to make sure the finished product came out looking like what i wanted.

Nervous about ripping off my $50 dollar tints, i remembered my older sister wrecked her 03 V6 Stang years back when we were both younger/in high school.. We have one of her stock headlights, mint condition(minus the clips being broken)..I am going to be pulling that out of the attic in an hour or two and practicing on her light to make sure i got it down pat before i ruin my expensive taillights.

I will keep you guys posted, hell- i am going to charge my camera and make a write up out of it, so maybe the Forum moderators will make it a sticky for anyone that is interested.. I looked for so many mustang forums that used this, only found a few, but i found a huge write up on a Camaro/Firebird Forum.

Attachments

S

·
0 Posts
Interesting mod!

Just take a deep breath and go for it. The worst that can happen is that it'll just look like crap.:gringreen

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
13,170 Posts

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are the Camaro/Firebird/Stangs i found with write ups and the finished product. Both cars were clear coated, but the stang owner did NOT clear coat.. Check it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hey I just did mine with the VHT Niteshades a few weeks ago. One came out awesome but the other I had to redo. The VHT strips off with the Goof Off stuff just so you know. I also used the clearcoat on top so it's nice and shiny. It's real easy and I used a piece of tape over where by backup lights are so they are still bright when I back up.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey I just did mine with the VHT Niteshades a few weeks ago. One came out awesome but the other I had to redo. The VHT strips off with the Goof Off stuff just so you know. I also used the clearcoat on top so it's nice and shiny. It's real easy and I used a piece of tape over where by backup lights are so they are still bright when I back up.
Can you post up any pics in this thread for me? Did you sand/wet sand anything? Or just clean the taillight up, and spray it on..?

Here was my attempt on my sisters headlight for her 03 sixxer..
I only did the corner as a trial..

It was shiny and smooth as hell, before i added the Clearcoat.. After it was dry,i then did one or two coats of clear.. It became odd looking, and not soo smooth. Not even really glossy =(..?

Any idea guys? Glad i tried this on an old headlight..

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I did mine last summer (VHT) and have not yet put any clearcoat on them (Can't decide if I want them darker). I wet sanded them before the VHT, 3-4 coats of VHT, then wet sanded them to a nice haze afterward. I bought one of those powerball things for wheels and attahced it to my cordless drill and used it on the lenses with some plastic polish and then wax after mounting them back on the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
i'd love to see this when you are done. i have the black out covers on mine right now. it would be great to take them off and just have darker tail lights......post some pics when you get a chance. highly interested

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well here is the finished product of wet sanding w/ three dif grits and VHT Nite-shades.. Practiced on my sisters 03 V6 Headlight spare.

I think it came out great, and i am going to pull off both my taillights on my 06 GT, rip off my vinyl tint and taillight bezels..

Look back in a few hours.. I am going to actually take my time on my lights.. This was done in NO time.:gringreen

Attachments

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i did it finally, good weather so i figured why not after work this morning.

Steps are as follows for anybody that wants to do it too.
1) Clean the whole light rigorously with Alcohol on a paper towel.
2) Wet sand with 800 grit
3) Wipe off, dry
4) Apply VHT coatings, let dry a good 5 mins or so between coats so it does not blotch up or run.
5) Keep repeating step 4 until you are content with darkness..
6) If any imperfections, wet sand when it is completely dry..
Optional
7) Clear coating it
8) Getting some sort of wax, to shine it up. Some used those powerballs- as mentioned above,but i have no done this step yet.. It is on the car, and drying as we speak. I will take the car out tomorrow.

I am pleased with the outcome, i kind of want them darker for daytime though.. They do shine through nice in semi darkness, i rolled my side of the garage down to check it out.:happydance:

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
Looks good! Sorry, I forgot about this thread so I didn't help ya anymore, but it looks like you figured it out. I used 3 coats of clear on mine because I know a few people whose niteshades turned whitish after a year or so.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks good! Sorry, I forgot about this thread so I didn't help ya anymore, but it looks like you figured it out. I used 3 coats of clear on mine because I know a few people whose niteshades turned whitish after a year or so.
Thank yah! Don't sweat it bro, it is hard to keep track of all these threads.. Oh really, turned white? Hmm, i will have to clear coat mine tomorrow or something.. It is drying now, it started to get REAL windy so i said F that, i do not want to ruin my work of art hah.. I do not know how to take this spray tint stuff off, if it is even possible. When i did a practice on my sisters headlight, i used clear coat and it turned white and ****** looking.. it turned FLAT GREY, i figured out my problem(i did the practice run on her headlight when it was windy/muggy/raining..) I was stubborn and wanted to work on the light..

·
Registered
954 Posts
Thank yah! Don't sweat it bro, it is hard to keep track of all these threads.. Oh really, turned white? Hmm, i will have to clear coat mine tomorrow or something.. It is drying now, it started to get REAL windy so i said F that, i do not want to ruin my work of art hah.. I do not know how to take this spray tint stuff off, if it is even possible. When i did a practice on my sisters headlight, i used clear coat and it turned white and ****** looking.. it turned FLAT GREY, i figured out my problem(i did the practice run on her headlight when it was windy/muggy/raining..) I was stubborn and wanted to work on the light..
I used Goof Off and paper towels to take the VHT off the one I messed up on. It only took about 10 minutes. Then I re did it and it came out fine.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I used Goof Off and paper towels to take the VHT off the one I messed up on. It only took about 10 minutes. Then I re did it and it came out fine.
Sweet, yeah my cousin told me to use that too if i need to fix one of them =)..

I will be leaving them alone for now, i actually want to go darker but am not sure if that is wise or not..

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
dude its so much easier to buy the gts covers off american muscle....thats what i did and they're awesome...just my opinion but nice car man:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dude its so much easier to buy the gts covers off american muscle....thats what i did and they're awesome...just my opinion but nice car man:bigthumbsup
Thanks Ryan09, yeah i am aware about the taillight covers, i just was not fond of the shape it gives them, i like the flat design of the lights, i did not want to put covers on them, they seem bulkier and that is why i removed my taillight bezels. Do not get me wrong, i do not mind the covers, i just personally know people with them that do not recommend them because they come loose.. One of my friends had one fall off on the road.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.