Ford Mustang Forum banner

New Tech and Lounge subforums.. So What Do You Think?

4K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  rgensemer 
#1 ·
Hi again all...

I'm sure you've seen we split the S197 site up to separate tech and chat... I hope this works for eveyone and you'll find the right place for your posts...

If you have a technical question do a search and then post in tech if you can't find what you need.

If you just wanna chat, get a feel on something not technical, etc. please use the lounge to make tech easier to navigate...

Any suggestions, comments, and/or complaints are as usual helpful and welcome!

Thank You!

#3 ·
Question for you guys...

Do you think stripes, accident repair, tint, wax, etc. belong here in tech or in the lounge?

How about other appearance mods if it's not regarding the install?

How about questions, like the what do you guys think about these...?

Thanks for any input!

#5 ·
It is tough getting used to for me....... I was used to refreshing one page. Now I find myself juggling the two pages. Any way to ease the learning curve for me?

#6 ·
Gig4Fun said:
It is tough getting used to for me....... I was used to refreshing one page. Now I find myself juggling the two pages. Any way to ease the learning curve for me?
I guess you'll get used to it... you can always have two browsers open... one for each forum...

I'm trying to get the admin to add links to the right in the Forums drop down menu so that one wouldn't have to open two pages, first the S197 and then tech or the lounge... I understand that must be even worse for you guys on dial-up... a waste of time...

#7 ·
kj_cinci said:
I guess you'll get used to it... you can always have two browsers open... one for each forum...

I'm trying to get the admin to add links to the right in the Forums drop down menu so that one wouldn't have to open two pages, first the S197 and then tech or the lounge... I understand that must be even worse for you guys on dial-up... a waste of time...
Hahaha! I will have to cruise the forum the way I do my ebay bidding! I am sure I will get used to it. Thanks.

#8 ·
Getting to Big to Manage?

Gig4Fun said:
Agree with Gig4Fun - Nice just to have one page to refresh.
My .02 concerning topics. Mods should be in the tech forum with most everything regarding the VEHICLE. If people want to talk football, weather, or where the good lookin girls hang out the lounge would be the right place.

#9 ·
Perhaps we should divide each into....

front and rear of car? Or perhaps suspension versus drivetrain versus interior?

Too many distinctions for me. Why can't it just be one site? It's much easier, and I'm more willing and able to learn from and read posts included? Don't like the new split, sorry!

Mr. Toad

G
#10 ·
As KJ requested, I just made the following changes to your S197 forums to help improve forum navigation:

(1) Added subforms to display on our main forms page. Now you can select S197 Lounge or S197 Tech directly from the main form page. This should avoid having to display the list subforms page.

(2) Added subform navigation links to the top of both the S197 Lounge and S197 Tech subforms so you can "one click" back and forth between the two S197 forms.

For Example:

When viewing S197 Tech index page, a link will display at the top of the Tech forum for S197 Lounge.

When viewing S197 Lounge index page, a link will display at the top of the Lounge forum for S197 Tech.

Sure hope these changes help. We added the S197 lounge section for several reasons. One being the members and moderators of the V6, 4.6L and 5.0L forums seem to really like having the non technical threads in a separate forum.

One of the perceived problems with the previous style of having all threads and all posts on all topics in one forum, is that it can make it more difficult to view and find what you are looking for, especially if the forum is a high volume forum, like the S197.

With the tech forum more focused on tech topics, it should be easier for members to find tech information and answers to their tech questions. The lounge on the other hand allows members to simply hang out and post on other topics of interest for discussion.

Now with that being said, if with the changes just made, members still prefer the all in one form approach, we can change it back fairly easily. Post a reply and let us know whether you like the new setup or not. Our forums are powered by our members, so please speak out and voice your opinion.

I suspect some of you will like the new segregeted approach, others won't and more of you may not care one way or the other. Please take the time to post a reply and let us know what your preference is. We are listening :)

#11 ·
Its ok, just take a little bit to get use to.
I visit the forum a few times everyday so usually only need to see the 1st page. but some people dont have internet all day at work and dont check the forum daily, so dividing this stuff up is probly a good thing.

#13 ·
ScottHalliday said:
As KJ requested, I just made the following changes to your S197 forums to help improve forum navigation:

..... back fairly easily. Post a reply and let us know whether you like the new setup or not. Our forums are powered by our members, so please speak out and voice your opinion.

I suspect some of you will like the new segregeted approach, others won't and more of you may not care one way or the other. Please take the time to post a reply and let us know what your preference is. We are listening :)
Scott, I like it better with your changes. Thank you for doing a few more things to help the transition. Russ

#14 ·
199 said:
I personally think it suck now u havr to deal with too pages,,
Scary, I usually dont comment on grammer or spelling online, but wow, lol.

#15 ·
And there I go double posting, Blame the slow internet!

#16 ·
Stoenr said:
And there I go double posting, Blame the slow internet!
big 10-4 on that! I figure he is not from here.. must be from a phoren kuntree

#18 ·
I don't see a problem with the split....Threads will stay on page one longer giving a better chance to get replys...If the boards are busy..good threads can get lost to page 3 pretty fast if not contsantly posted in.

There were many complaints about good technical threads getting lost to get to know you threads...I see this as a good option to help solve that.

#19 ·
Personally I like having it separate since I felt it got old to look through 'how old are we-LNR reg-black reg-what about these plastic pieces-where do you live/cruise/eat/etc... ASO...' Nothing against those threads I'm sure it's fun but I'm mostly here to learn about my car, and others too, V6, auto, Shelby, you name it, all about S197, and also 4.6, Power Adders, etc etc... member kill stories is fun too!

I am hoping they can make the Forums drop down menu into a drop town tree, it drops down and as you touch an option the menues under that options come out to the right... that way I can even more easily jump from S197 L&T to Memb Kill, 4.6 Tech, etc... Just move my cursor up there over the main Forum, to the right for the part I want into and click...

There should also be some changes to Classifieds, hopefully soon, to make that easier to navigate, find what you need or might need... also member profiles/galleries should get oh so much cooler here in a while... I think...?!? :tongue

#20 ·
199 said:
I personally think it suck now u havr to deal with too pages,,
Your kiddin' me right.

#21 ·
seems pretty cool to me. of course, the old way never really bothered me...

but this divided setup should keep all the sticklers happy, and that's fine by me.

G
#22 ·
as KJ suggested, I have now modified our site's main navigation menu so that the "Lounge" and "Tech" sub-forums are available from the "2005 Mustang | 2006 Mustang" drop down menu.

Excellent suggestion KJ. This should make it very easy for everyone to pop navigate between the Lounge and Tech sections.

Please keep the suggestions and feed back coming :)l

#26 ·
My only new complaint is please don't change the title of a thread that's been around for awhile.
A brand new thread that the title doesn't fit... sure change it.
A thread that has been around for a few days and has a few replies then don't change it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.