Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New temp gauge installed

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  NCGT 
#1 ·
I completed a new project on the Mustang today. I installed an Auto Meter temp gauge. I installed the sensor in the coolant cross over in front of the intake. I'm not sure if anyone has tried this or not, but it worked out great for me. Now if they get the oil pressure gauge in I'll be all set.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm looking at installing an Autometer Electronic Water temp gauge soon. Could you give a walkthrough of the install for me kinda? How did you mount it inside the car? Any help would be awesome! Thanks

#4 ·
Lets try this again. I went to submit a response last night, and poof it was gone. I mounted my gauge on the a pillar. I ran the wires between the dash pad and the body panel. Remove left front tire and then remove the plastic splash panel. There are about 6 or 8 push pins that hold it in place. On the right side at the firewall you will see a rubber boot where the wiring harness goes through to the inside of the car. I put a small split in the boot, just big enough to push the wires through. The next thing I done was to mount the sensor in the cross over housing in the front of the intake. Do not open the cooling system, dont take the cap off the degas bottle. This will hel keep the coolant from gushing out of the hole you drill in the housing. I drilled the housing several times, starting with a small bit and working my way up to an 11/32 drill bit. To save the trouble of having to remove the cross over housing, i would dip the drill bit in grease. This way the shavings would stick to the grease instead of falling into the housing. I then used a 1/8 pipe tap to tap the hole. The housing isnt very thick at all so take your time. I would thread the hole about a 1/4 turn and then back out the tap. Working the tap back and forth while tapping the hole is a slow process, but you dont want to crack the housing. I added some pipe thread sealer to the threads of the sensor. Make sure to not tighten the sensor to tight. I wanted to hide the wires to the sensor, so I removed the radiator cover so that the wires could under it. The wires are not long enough to reach so I cut them and the spliced them back together. I soldered and used heat shrink to make sure there wasnt any issues. I ran the wire from the sensor, under the upper radiator hold down brackets. On the drivers side I located a hole in the inner fender and ran the wires through it. The next step I ran the wires alont the frame rail, behind the ABS wiring harness and around behind the brake lines at the rear of the fender well. I used some of the plastic tubing to put the wires in to help protect them. I also used some tie straps to secure the wires to make sure they wont be rubbed by the tire. The gauge has two other wire coming from it. The red wire goes to switched power, this way it only powers up with the switch on. I removed the steering column cover and spliced into the yellow wire with the gray tracer on it at the ignition switch. The ground wire I just secured it to a stud and nut on the left kick panel. I didnt have to add any coolant, I lost very little. I then ran the car to make sure there wasnt any leaks. Reinstall spalsh shield, and you should be done. It was a little time consuming, but well worth the time. I will post a few pictures later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.