Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 25k miles my stock Pirelli tires were about shot.
I have been studying tires for the last few months . After reading all the reviews etc., I went with Michelin pilot sport a/s 3's. Needed an all season tire as it is my daily driver & it does snow occasionally here in West Texas. Stayed with the stock size (245/45/19).
The car drives like a dream , haven't pushed them hard yet but they are supposed to deliver excellent traction wet & dry. Plus they look good too. So far I would highly recommend them if you are shopping for tires.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a set of the Pilot Sport's on my car and love them as well, they wear nicely and no crazy tread noise. If you play your cards right Discount Tire has a good rebate/sale on them too. If I had to get a A/S I wouldn't hesitate to go with a Michelin tire too! You get what you pay for..

·
Registered
328 Posts
I got 50+K out of my stock Pirelli's then went with the Pilot Super Sports on my stock 18" wheels. Great tire, quieter than the Pirellis and they handle much better around the turns. Also very good in the wet and resist hydroplaning very well. Great tire all around. Regards

·
Registered
274 Posts
My 2011 still has the original Pirelli P Zero Nero tires with only 15,000 miles on them but, they ride like bricks. They are also the only tires I remember being pulled side to side in impressed ruts on the highway. I have looked and looked on Tire Rack and am convinced Michelin Premier AS are the best tires for this car. My second pick are the tires that are on our 2009 Escape....Firestone Destination LE2. When we switched from the original Bridgestone Duelers on the Escape to the Firestones, it was probably the biggest difference I had ever experienced when changing tires. There doesn't seem to be an exact fit with these Firestones but, the 235/55/18s would be close enough for me making my speedometer read slower than actual speed. The Firestone Destination LE2 are actually light truck/SUV tires but, I did see a handful of reviewers that put them on cars and said they were the best tires ever on their cars. So, that's probably what I'm going to get after getting rid of the zero neros. They are named correctly. They are next to zero for comfort.

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
My 2011 still has the original Pirelli P Zero Nero tires . . . They are also the only tires I remember being pulled side to side in impressed ruts on the highway. . . . My second pick are the tires that are on our 2009 Escape....Firestone Destination LE2. . . . The Firestone Destination LE2 are actually light truck/SUV tires but, I did see a handful of reviewers that put them on cars and said they were the best tires ever on their cars. . . . .
Following ruts in the road is called "tramlining" and it is common with high performance, low profile tires. The basic issue is that old "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" thing -- when the tires can push hard on the road, the road can push hard on the tires. With low profile tires there is very little flex in the tire itself so everything is transmitted through the steering wheel to the driver . . . which is what you want in a "sports car." Apparently there are some high performance tires that tramline less than others, but generally if you defeat the tramlining you also defeat the handling of the car.

If you want your mustang to handle like a truck, then yeah I guess truck tires would be a good choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was reading this hoping to get more info. My 2014 has Mich. Pilot S/S 285/35zr20's on it with 11000 miles. I agree the ride and handling are great, but I'm looking for softer street tire (wanting to use more ponies between gears). So far I haven't found anything in my tire size except what I have, and Perilli,s. I have Perelli's on my 2003 and the ride is deffinately harder. thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks JBert for the tramlining definition. I hate that feel. If there were ruts in the hwy and I had to go through a tight work zone on a small bridge, I would feel like the car is going to get slammed into the side guides! I traded a 2012 coupe for this 2011 convertible. Both V6 Mustangs. The very first thing I noticed when I test drove the 2011 was the steering was way stiffer and the tires drove like bricks. I have had to lower the tire pressure to 30 front 28 back to make them tolerable. That said, I am going to try to get 25,000-30,000 before I change to decent riding tires. I have maybe 16,000 now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts