Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Jason. I'm new to this forum as well as to Mustangs. I really don't know that much about Mustangs or cars in general. I'm hoping to change that though and I thought this would be a good place to start.

I have recently been on the hunt for a good project car to buy. I have always liked Mustangs and to own one would be pretty rad. As I've said I am knew to Mustangs so I'm hoping that with a project I will be able to learn the ins and outs.

So far I have almost gotten screwed over with a '67 coupe that didn't have the title and was in pretty rough shape. Luckily I got out of that mess and I have my eyes on two other Mustangs.

One is a 1965 Coupe with an inline 6, 3 speed transmission. The body looks decent but there is rust in the floor panels and it looked like there is a lot of surface rust (possibly more than surface rust) underneath the car. I didn't get a really good look at it because I was in a rush but it is in my price range. (2000)

The second is a 1968 Coupe that was being restored and the guy has to sell cause he is getting married. He has all the parts for it, redone the interior and fix the rust. The only problem is that it is out of my price range just a bit. ($3500)

I am new to this world so lay on the advice please. I'm eager to learn!

Thanks!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Jason,
welcome to the site!

I hope you like working on cars, $2K or $3K grand isn't going to get you much. I bought a 66 Mustang 200 I6 in 2008 for $3,400. It needed a LOT OF WORK. It was a good learning car to work on. My advice is to wait a while and save a little cash to get something better to work with.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If your looking for a project car, as in you want to do a nearly full rebuild and have the time, money and patience, the 68 sounds good with some of the body work already completed and most of the parts.

If your looking for a running and roadworthy car that you simply want to drive, upgrade and/or personalize, wait a while until you have more funds available and find a car in better condition.

The only problem I have with the second option is really good ones are gonna cost you and you may not be able to spot hidden areas that might need additional repair work. With starting with a cheap car that needs nearly everything, at least you know first hand what is repaired along the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying guys.

What I'm looking for in a project car is something that isn't too far off from running but still needs some work.

Waiting a little longer seems to be the general advise I have been hearing.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Welcome Jason,

I was lucky to have a great '67 fastback fall into my lap 3 yrs ago and I was not even looking, I also know very little about cars but have learned a little and most of it was off this site very nice people here.

You have to ask yourself can I do metal work if not can I learn if so then try to get something that don't have a lot of metal work at first. If you want to learn go to a savage yard and get some stuff to cut up and re-weld.

You may already know this but look at floors in front seat area for rust under carpet if its really rusty or all the way through then the cowl will need to be fixed also. Look in trunk (with flashlight ) on both side where it drops down do you see lots of rust and or the ground I missed that one. Look under battery to see if it has leaked through the metal.

You will get more money back later if you want to sell her if it is a convertible or a fastback and even a coup will a nice size motor.

check and double check the vin# on door and front panel under hood to make sure thy match.

Mustang Monthly good magazine.

I'm sure other will have more to say.

again :welcomesign

Take care,

Dion

1 - 5 of 5 Posts