Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im building an HO out of a 90 mustang, and im putting it in my 95 f150 daily driver. the truck has 3.08 gears which i plan on keeping for highway fuel economy, and a 4R70W with OD. ill be using the truck intake and wiring harness to get the most low end torque possible as this truck easily weighs 1000 lbs more than a mustang. i think im going to end up boring it, but if i can get away with a good honing i will. right now im trying to decide what cam to use. i want to keep it somewhat cheap, and like i said get the most low end torque. i've been considering a ford racing B303 or E303 cam. can anyone recommend a cam with good low end power?

·
Registered
552 Posts
edelbrock cam

1500-4000 rpm its like a .204/.214 @ 50

summit sells the replica of it for 99$ with lifters
same specs, just labeled under summit

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys! chattanooga, can you get a part number for that cam? i've been looking at a few comp cams on summit. i like what i see, but they're pricy!

R

·
0 Posts
If you don't upgrade the heads & intake (the truck intake is more restrictive than the stock mustang)

So in reality adding a cam to that motor will an exercise in futility......

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
If you don't upgrade the heads & intake (the truck intake is more restrictive than the stock mustang)

So in reality adding a cam to that motor will an exercise in futility......
Ditto Reg.

OP.... Stick with the stock HO cam or the Stock Truck cam. There made for the torque in lower RPM's

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya'll are right about the truck cams being geared for low end torque, but with a .379 lift the truck needs all the help it can get. as far as the intakes go the truck intake is much larger than the HO, and GT40 intakes:

the HO intake is on the far left, compared to the truck intake in the middle and GT40 on the far right. according to chiltons the 95 model f150 with MAF was rated at 205hp @ 3000 rpm and 270 ft lbs of torque. im not looking for any huge power gains. i'd like to keep it below 300 hp. all im going to do to it is E-fans, full exhaust, cam, and MSD ignition which it already has.

R

·
0 Posts
ya'll are right about the truck cams being geared for low end torque, but with a .379 lift the truck needs all the help it can get. as far as the intakes go the truck intake is much larger than the HO, and GT40 intakes:

the HO intake is on the far left, compared to the truck intake in the middle and GT40 on the far right. according to chiltons the 95 model f150 with MAF was rated at 205hp @ 3000 rpm and 270 ft lbs of torque. im not looking for any huge power gains. i'd like to keep it below 300 hp. all im going to do to it is E-fans, full exhaust, cam, and MSD ignition which it already has.
but look how short runner lenght is on the truck manifold is in comparison to the other two.......

a stock 1990 5.0 is rated

225 HP

300 TQ

·
Registered
552 Posts
keep the trans and gears

go with an explorer intake or cobra intake or even something like a trickflow or edelbrock for about 500$, the truck intake will hold you back man

as far as heads go, the gt40s will get you places!!
ive seen some older f100s with 351w runnin gt40s run in the 8.5 easy 4200 pound truck goin 8.5 all day consistent

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GT40 heads are extremely rare around my neck of the woods. i've been lookin for some time now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
well a friend of mine is talking me into using the HO intake. only thing is, im going to have to modify my harness to make the TPS work, get a longer throttle cable, and mofidy the intake plumbing. more work for me, but i've been convinced it will give me more low end over the truck intake.

oh and btw, yall have been alot more help than most of the guys on the f150 forums. hope yall dont mind me postin here, im new to mustangs, but not 5.0/5.8's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.