Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New to forum, looking for a 5.0

918 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  copracer288 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. New to the forum and wanted to say how great a resource this place has already been in my search for a new car.

A little background: I have recently decided it's time to seriously upgrade my driving situation. I've been driving sedans for the better part of my adult life (2004 Maxima, 2007 Altima, 2010 Sonata) and now that I can actually afford it -- I want a sports car.

I've looked at BMWs, Infinitis, Audi's and considered the 4-door sports sedan but found that the ones I really wanted would likely be just too far outside my price range. I also don't want to get a car that everyone else has; if I get a BMW, I want something other than the 325i that I see every single day around Dallas.

Then I started to look at 2-door sports cars. The G37 coupe, the Genesis coupe.....then settled on either the 370Z or the Mustang 5.0. After test driving both cars, I really think I've decided to go with the 5.0.

I love the look of the 370Z -- and the fact there's not many out on the road -- but in the end it's the available options and the aftermarket modding ability that I love about the 5.0. That, and the fact that it's a 400hp monster of a car.

I'm also extremely picky about what options I want. Spending this much, I don't want to settle on a car just because it's there in the lot. But I've also waited a bit too long and now I find my best bet is to just wait and custom order a 2012. Which is frustrating, but I'm willing to wait in order to get the exact car I really want.

Looking forward to spending the coming months perusing the forum.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to AFM and hope you find what you are looking for. :bigthumbsup

#4 ·
I had a 2010 Mustang GT, which I just traded in for a 2011. The 5.0 is AWESOME, it's such an improvement over the 10, and I was able to order it, which meant I could get 3.73s, among other options. So I know what you mean about waiting to order it to your specs, it's totally worth it. One thing I have learned as a new Mustang fan- you WILL have a car that a lot of other people have, which turned me off from Mustangs for a long time, but I can get online and find all the advice I need for anything involving my car. I couldn't have done my mods myself if there weren't so many die-hard, knowledgable Mustang fans out there. I have no desire anymore for a car no one else has, it is so much better this way. Plus I have realized almost every Mustang is different in some way, I never see one that looks and sounds 100% stock. I'm having a great time getting involved in the Mustang community, and after only one year that I've owned a Mustang, I know I will definitely always have one. Good luck with your car!

#5 ·
One thing I have learned as a new Mustang fan- you WILL have a car that a lot of other people have, which turned me off from Mustangs for a long time, but I can get online and find all the advice I need for anything involving my car.
This is still a sticking point with me, honestly. It's just tough for me to spend $40k on a car, and then see a base V6 driven next to me on the highway by a 16 year old and think "well gee....my car is really standing out now".

Of course, that's the motivation behind getting the options I want and the mods I'm planning. I may be one of many Mustangs on the road, but mine will certainly be unique from the others. Looking around on the forum, it's apparent that everyone else feels the same way. There's just way too many different things to do with this car than to just leave it alone...

Of course, there are a ton Audis, BMWs and Infinitis on the road too.

#7 ·
I know what you mean. After I got my stang, I was really annoyed at first at all the others, but once I got involved in the Mustang world, my attitude completely changed and now I love checking out all the other Mustangs on the road, and they are definitely all different! And most importantly, they all look like badass American musclecars. A family sedan is still a family sedan no matter how much it costs. That little BMW or Mercedes emblem doesn't make it look any less boring (in my very humble but totally biased opinion). :)

#8 ·
Exactly. I've test driven pretty much all cars across the spectrum the past month. As far as sports sedans go, the BMW is absolutely incredible. Just a very smooth ride that has above average power and handling ability. Very comfortable and the interior amenities are great.

But there was not another car I drove that had the lasting effect on me the Mustang did. I can't speak to the V6, as I only drove the 5.0, but this car had me shaking for about an hour after handing the keys back over to the salesman.

I'm planning on tracking the car -- this isn't going to be a traditional DD -- and I can't wait to be able to really open this thing up.

That I'm going to be waiting a long time to get it is going to be tough to stomach, but it's going to be worth it.

#9 ·
#11 ·
Right now I'm planning on:

Brembo package
19" Painted Machined - Dark Foundry Black
Hood and side scoops
White stripes
Side louvres
Stone interior
Electonics package
V6/GT Dark Stainless Pony Grill

I think that's it.

#12 ·
I know where you're coming from. It seems that every other car I see on the road is a Mustang and that was a big turn off for me for a long time also.

I have a 2011 GT on order now and I will be trading in my '07 SRT8 Charger. The Charger is a great car, no doubt, but I'm looking to get back into a 6 speed car that is more suitable for racing. Right now, for the price, the Mustang is the best car that fits that bill.

The Charger is a great road car, plenty of room for the family, very comfortable, very fast but it's no race car. I know, I tried, I broke things, I stopped racing (which I've been doing for over 20 years). I miss it and it's time to get back to it.

So, I will join the legions of Mustang owners and enjoy the vast aftermarket and forum support.

Besides, you only live once. I want to be laying on my death bed some day smiling thinking about all the whoop-ass cars I've owned! :bigthumbsup

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.