Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vehicle runs well with its cruise-o-matic. It looks nice (20 foot paint job) and for now will just be an 'once and a while driver.'
I want to restore it to 1965 "showroom floor" quality and don't know where to start. I want to have it stripped to bare metal (body AND frame) and build up from there.
I cannot find the data plate, so I fear it's lost to history. What books would be good to start with to read about how to go about a restoration like this? Thanks in advance!
SnteevveetnS

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
When you say "Showroom floor" do you mean a really nice resto, resto with slight mods, or concours?

I bought a few books and they are very generic. Just start taking things apart and you will learn from there. It looks like you already have a good starting point.

Having it stripped is a good choice. Good to know what your up against. (Mustangs don't have much for frames, they are unibody cars.)Keep in mind that you will never sell it for as much as you put into it. You could spend another 20K on it and end up selling it for 15.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
concours/resto

I don't know if my pockets are deep enough for a concours level restoration. Unless it is stretched over 15 years...
A REALLY nice restoration would be what I would be looking to do. I scoped out ebay (know, NOT the authority for classic Mustang prices)
and saw REAL A-code Mustangs are worth a lot more than the 6 cylinder upgraded to v8.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts