Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, All
Long time Chevy person, just bought my first Mustang.. All original 66, 289, 3 speed... One coat of paint about 20 years ago.. It is not perfect but I could ask for a better place to start.. Looking to freshen the engine later this year and then make the move to a 4 speed or the T5...
If there is anyone that would like to share the do's and don'ts of the trans swap, I would appreciate it...
thanks

·
Registered
266 Posts
Welcome!

AllFordMustangs.com has been a great help for me when I have any problems. They have a good bunch of people here.

I myself have a '66 hardtop and it is my daily driver. I have a 289 with a 4-speed and I am looking to go to a 5-speed soon. Since my car is a daily driver, I think it would be worth the switch. The 4-speeds are cool because they are what came with the car. They are the "four on the floor" but for a daily driver a 5-speed makes a lot more sense. It'll get you much better gas mileage and make it nicer to drive.

My advice: If you're planning on making your car a daily driver type of car go with a 5-speed. If you want to keep it an original style pony car go with a 4.

And again, welcome! Ask lots of questions on here. These guys on here have all really helped me out! :yup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buying the 5 speed

Hey
Picking up a T5 tomorrow and plan to install in my 66 289 soon. I currently have a 3 speed trans, can I use that bell housing, the kits always state 4 speed bell housing. Planning to keep same clutch setup except going to a center force.. As always any help is appreciated.. Who sells the best and cheapest kit?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
good question, it would all depend if where the housing meets the trans is the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts