Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, it's been a minute but I've finally figured out what I was doing with my mustang and got me a trick little four popper again. Got every thing installed minus two little hiccups... There is obviously no spark, I can spray ether all day long and not even get so much as a burp. However all my electronics and distributer came from my last engine... Which ran fine til I blew a hole thru the block. Spark plugs are bring new motorcraft plugs, thankfully I'll never trust bosche plus anything again. So I'm quite clueless on that matter.

Not for the second hiccup, in the process of the swap I seem to have completely lost the vaccum line that comes from the intake to god knows where. All I can tell you is it is the larger diameter line that runs off the same Y as the fuel pressure regulator line from fuel rail to the upper intake manifold.

Anyway thanks for reading hopefully some one can shed some light on this predicament and we can get one more good looking stang back to cruisin main st

·
Registered
11 Posts
sounds like the vacuum hose goes to a black 6port up by the fire wall bottom right hope that helps went out and looked at ours

as fro the spark double check all connections we just did a trans plant also and the connections like to hide we had to hand over hand and use flash light on ours gl

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
No spark. Check the tfi. I know you said came off running engine.
http://www.rothfam.com/svo/reference/sensors.pdf Page 17 it may lead you to voltage lost somewhere else. And the tfi has history of going bad whenever it wants to. I assume reusing old distributor in replacement engine. Is timing of it correct? Remove cap and make sure rotor is turning with engine.
Another thought. There is a ground wire goes from intake to body. It is lnstall have read this can cause this problem. Here is section that may answer or help.
http://www.rothfam.com/svo/reference/volumeH/1988/Section 15 - Ignition Systems Timing Procedures and Diagnostics.pdf
On the vac line. There is a large one that comes off the oil separator [large can below distributor. Then to a pcv valve [get a Ford one] then to connection on bottom connection under upper intake. Will look at mine when rain quits and answer the fuel reg one. Also post this before times out. Maurice
Edit the fuel reg vac hose goes to a formed metal line and then from there to small connection on upper intake on same fitting as large hose to "T" system on firewall. My engine so can see. Turbo engien so there are extra stuff. [wife's photobucket her car] Maurice
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp115/mustanglady89/100_6310.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now looking at the engine there is what looks like the ground coming off the starter harness ( from solenoid ) attached to the battery negative??? That just doesn't seem right to me, that's what I get for offering beer in return for help. But anyway the car does turn over... Beautifully for that matter but would that affect spark? And correct me if I'm wrong it may also be because of new timing belt too? I mean I might actually be getting spark but I may have timed it wrong. Is it if the crank is at tdc you align the cam at "noon" right if not then please explain this whole thing maybe a lot simpler that way.
Sorry bout the rant just brainstorming and venting at the same time.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Brainstorming is what solves problems since I can't car. You are my eye and ears. A ground wire needs to be on intake. It doesn't take a large one. But is need for the tfi and other parts on intake. Something about the gaskets etc sometimes does not make a good ground. Also with efi you are dealing with small voltage Less than 5vdc.
Now on the timing. Maurice
CAM TIMING

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, unfortunately I can not see the car myself either, but reading that did jog my memory. I did time the cam and crank correctly, and if I understand right I timed the auxiliary shaft right as well, that's the one that was supposed to be pointing high noon, correct me if I'm wrong. But I did realize that even though my firing order is correct, it's too the wrong plugs, that could defiantly cause non spark symptoms. My number one plug wire is what I now see is connected to the number 4 spot on my distributer cap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also I know this is putting the cart before the horse but I noticed a picture of one of you turbo guys upper intake manifold, it had been turned 90* toward the front of the car like parallel with the valve cover. I gotta know how that was friggin sweet.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Check the timing. If remember correct aux shaft doesn't matter as long as distributor is correct. Lot of people have done the front facing throttle body. Mostly done so less piping for fmic [Front mount intercooler]. Mine is still facing over valve cover with fmic. Just lately [last year or so]found a guy to do alumium welding. My reason. Maurice

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a thread that describes a how to for it? Im just not satisfied with the way my engine compartment looks. Then again a lot of people find it wild a four popper in a 5.0's place. Oh well 2.3 pride!!!!!
The way it's looking it's gonna be a minute anyway til I can really get my hands dirty anyway, just moved and my mustang is sitting in a good friend of mine's garage, so hopefully with in the next two weeks I can take a day or two to make a road trip and pick it up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Valves stuck from sitting to long with ****** alcohol gas

my 89 2.3 tang had the valve stuck from sitting too long. i hammered and pried on those things for a couple of weeks straight and they finally came up. check this first because you seem like you have similar symptoms.
and becareful of removing the oil pan btw, its wedged under a pipe i believe is for the AC and if you **** that up no AC. Good Luck! Cheersdpchug.gif

·
Registered
129 Posts
Lusty2.3, Welcome to the forum!

Just thought you might like to know that this thread is over 3 years old since anyone has responded to it. So you may not get any feedback for your suggestions. Good work on your engine though, your situation and resolution may be helpful for someone down the road!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts