Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi..im new to the Forums and new to the Mustang scene. I been modifying Vdubs up until i purchased a 1967 Mustang. My plans are to swap in a 302. I have already gotten my hands on a 302 block and had it machined. My desire is to achieve 400hp from my 302. Any Advice or pointers on how to help achieve this would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking about doing it all motor, but any suggestions are gratly appreciated, also i plan on keeping the budget to as close to resonable as possible. Thank you

·
Registered
114 Posts
is this motor bored? get forged pistons,rods,crank,H/C/I get the motor balanced

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should i go with injected or carburator?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
EFI or Carb. is mostly personal preference, one won't give you much of a hp gain over the other if both are tuned, the EFI will have a taller learning curve and require more parts =$.

Do you have just a bare 302 block, do you know the year? as there are older hyd. flat tappet blocks and later roller blocks which will take different cams and parts(lifters, rockers, etc.) There is a casting number on the right rear of the block on a ridge just above the oil pan mounting surface like the pic below. Tell us the first letter and number and we can tell you the year of the block.

400 is reachable NA but you'll need to pick matched components based on block, cam, intake, exh., etc. If you don't have the internals stroking is an easy way to get more cubes which would mean stroker crank, rods and pistons. Heads are very important, you'll need aftermarket alum. heads to reach your goal IMO. The heads are the key to these sbf engines as the stock heads are very restrictive.
Good luck and welcome to the Mustang madness,
Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, i have just a bear block....i do have the stock cam and lifters....Let me check it out..see what year the block is...im not really to sure...ill let you no..i actually been wanting to no what year the block was...since i didnt want to start purchasing parts for a wrong year lol.....thanx jonk67 ill get back at you guys with the numbers and letters

·
Registered
114 Posts
87 and up are hydraulic roller motors so u would want a hydraulic roller cam and hyd rollers get the motor bored or make it a stroker

·
Registered
876 Posts
Ford Power Package toP end kits​
For 289-302 S/B Ford (1981 & earlier) - 367 hp & 340 ft/lbs.​
w/flat tappet cam ....................... #2091

Performance results obtained on a 302 Ford shortblock w/9.5:1 compression.

would be a reliable way to get a ton of horspower outa that 302 without mssing with stroking it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
these are the numbers and letters on my Block.....

3J21 FISE BB

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok it seems my block came from a 1991 thunderbird

·
Registered
114 Posts
Then it's a roller block so you want a roller cam if u put a hydraulic cam with roller lifters you will waste all tht money just like throwing it out the window. Be careful with your selection in head cam and intake because you want a motor that is matched with everything in it. Provides better reliability and performance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was looking into AFR for heads and comp cam for the Cam.....what heads should i be looking at ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
go with afr for sure im getting ready to purchase a set and ive heard great things about them when u order your cam and heads make sure the valve springs are good enough to handle the lift of the cam. example .600 max lift on valve springs. gross lift on cams .560. what model head and what type of comp cam r u looking at

·
Registered
73 Posts
347 stroker

I have C8 302 block with a 347 stroker kit forged pistons ARP bolt kit, alluminum heads 55 cc, steel crank clearenced and ballanced, 480 solid lift comp cam. Holley 650 double pumper 4 corner idle producing 415 hp. who said small blocks dont produce some hp. It has awesome response time high RPM great running engine good luck with your build

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im not sure on the type of head.....i want sumthign thats going to give me fast throttle response...what cc's should i be looking at?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
if n/a and you want high compression go for like a 56 -58 depending on what pistons you go with, for not so high comp use something with 58-60 and like a 165-205 intake runner. Edelbrock, AFR, RHS, DART, Broadix, everyone makes them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.