Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site and looking for information on a Mustang I found.

The mustang is an old race car, but the VIN does not follow any American code. I think it was made in Mexico or South America. The body style (hardtop) leads me to believe its a 1970 model. The VIN stamped on the front rail is AF01JEXXXXX.

Can anyone give me some information? Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the site!.......Let me place tis where some of the "Classic" guys and gals, can chime in..............Sean

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Is there a VIN in the windshield? Is the door tag there? There are lots of sites that will lead you thru the VIN and all the option codes. I'm sure someone will chime in with your specific info soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am new to this site and looking for information on a Mustang I found.

The mustang is an old race car, but the VIN does not follow any American code. I think it was made in Mexico or South America. The body style (hardtop) leads me to believe its a 1970 model. The VIN stamped on the front rail is AF01JEXXXXX.

Can anyone give me some information? Thanks!
If I were in your shoes, I'd contact Kevin Marti to see if he can point you in the right direction:

Marti Auto Works - Concourse Quality, Hobbyist Price

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
You need to go back and take another look at you VIN. I could not find a J code engine in '70 or '69. I did find it for the '68 as a 302. It also makes me think your A is really an 8. My '68 has the windshield VIN on the right side, but most references say it is on the left. The rivet for the door tag also disfigured my first VIN number. Not sure what the E is.

As a '68 yours decodes as:

8 1968
F Assembled in Dearborn, MI
01 Hardtop (coupe)
J 302 4V

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Here is at least one reference I found saying that 2000 '66 mustangs were made in Mexico City which had VINs that start with AF.

' + name + '

·
Registered
6 Posts
Until recently I was able to visit a dedicated site for non-US built Ford Mustangs: South of the Border Mustang Registry. Unfortunately, it appears as if this site has recently been shut down.
The owner was Dave Hammar ([email protected]) - I am though not sure if this email address still works.
Dave's site would have confirmed to you the production of early Ford Mustangs in Mexico until about 1973.
And it contained details of quite an impressive number of still existing Mexican Mustangs.

His site did provide details to VINs for Mexican built Mustangs (which differed from the US VINs).

Examples:

VIN AF07FL14753
A= Ford USA
F= La Villa factory
07= hardtop
F= 1966 model
L=built in January 1966
14753= consecutive no. starting with 10000

[see http://www.ponysite.de/mexicomustangs.htm]

VIN AF07HT13853
A= Ford USA
F= La Villa factory
07= hardtop
H= 1968 model
T=built in December 1968
13853= consecutive no. starting with 10000
[a 1969 model presented in July 2008 in Mustang Monthly]

Your VIN commencing with AF0... could then indeed point at a car 'Hecho en Mexico. Possibly built in 1970 :bigthumbsup

A note: The first Shelby Mustangs were incidentally also produced in Mexico. Take a look at South of the Boarder

And ... do you speak Spanish? More 'Mexican Mustang' pictures here: Shelby de Mexico, “Nothing runs faster than a scared Mexican Bandit” | La caca de chango

:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is what I was looking for! Now, how do I find the info on this particular mustang? Do these Mexican Mustangs hold any value? The one I have need quite a bit of work and want to know if it's worth it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
In July 2008 David Weisleder's 1969 Mexican Mustang was shown in 'Mustang Monthly'. David subsequently (in September 2008) tried to sell the car. His asking price was $US 36,000.

May be you ask him if he was successful (his email was [email protected]).

Honestly, I had some doubts about the price tag.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts